Ph Issues

Wildebeeste

Whats the ph of your tap water? How big was.last.water.change. .6ph is not that big of a.deal . Have you.add any.rocks or anything.to.your tank how long has your tank been running? Some slate and other rocks will change your.water over time. What is your waters kh and gh if your water is hard like most of.edmontons changeing ph is a pain.... Soft water on the.other hand you can mess with ph no.problem

Sorry posted from my phone

• 9 months later...

A stable PH is much more important than getting exactly what is "recommended" for the fish,playing with the PH will cause problems with swings in one direction or another.

• 2 months later...

Yes...PH stability is important. Significant swings will hurt the fish more than a lower, stable PH. 7.8 is fine for rift lake cichlids. I use API Proper PH (8.2) and it works great. With each water change, every 5 gallon bucket gets the same treatment and things remain pretty stable. Some Prime, Some Stability and some Proper PH...mix and let it sit for a bit and in it goes. One time for kicks I added a bucket without any Proper PH...and it dropped from 8.5ish to 8.2...just a single 5 gal bucket in a 90 gal tank! So every bucket gets the same treatment from now on...and it stays at 8.2. For high PH settings and rift lake cichlids, I prefer not to use any plants or wood...even tho they do look nice.