Stocking a 30Gal Cube?

Spader

I'm not really into Tangs, I have a pair of Neo. Pulcher. But I was thinking Malawi. Maybe a group of C. afra, or P. salousi, even a Lab of some kind. Or a small peacock group. The cookie cutter for a 20g on cichlid forum suggests 2 trios of small mbuna. Any suggestions?

I agree with Val, kind of a small tank to keep *any* Mbuna in long term, even the smaller less aggressive species. Keep in mind that even the 'small' Mbuna can grow to 4-5" in an aquarium, so 20 1/2 " doesn't leave much room to move. The 18 1/2" depth helps, but even still, I wouldn't suggest anything past a 1 male, and 4 females, from the smaller, less aggressive, non territorial species, such as yellow labs.

IMO, the cookie cutters on C-F are funged up, and in need of some serious tweaking.

You can read my suggestions for some of the CC sizes in this thread:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=50888

Edited by RD.

I have to agree, mbuna are out of the equation with a tank length of less than 2 feet. It sounds like an ideal set up for shell dwellers however. Select one species that interests you and you could perhaps add some julidochromis transcriptus or ornatus if you have some rocks. Best of luck. Sounds like a cool tank.

IMO, the cookie cutters on C-F are funged up, and in need of some serious tweaking.

I totally agree with you there. Their suggestions are a bit out there for most of the tanks. I think they hurt more then they help,especially where newbies are concerned.

I still stand by my recommendation that a 30g cube is too small of a tnak for malawis. Even the "peaceful" ones get too big and aggressive for such a small tank.

I think shellies are great for a tank with that kind of footprint.

Spader ...... Your best bet would be to use that tank as a 'grow out' tank, and save up for a tank that's at least 55 gallons. In that case you would have approx 6 months before the juvies would have to be moved to a larger set up.

Here is another good place to search for the answers you are looking for:

http://www.malawimayhem.com/phpBB2/

I do have to agree with RD, that tank is ideal as a fry grow out tank and not much more.

How ever, a 30 gallon if set-up right could house a small colony of peacocks mixed with some yellow labs.

I would go with juvies of about 6-8 of each and grow them out together.

It may work, an I would probably try it, but be prepared to upgrade in the future if it does not work out.

Good Luck.

IMHO the min tank size info provided in the link posted by Rahim isn't any better than the CC's on C-F. Min tank size can mean a lot of things depending on the 'mix' of fish, as well as the numbers kept.

Well i'll just have to throw my 2 cents in.

If you want africans i would not put anything other that a group of shellies. If you are open to other suggestions, i would suggest a densly planted tank w/ a small group of Rams. :wub:

If you have never seen Oxquo's 55g Ram tank you should! It is one of the nicest tanks i have ever seen.

• 2 weeks later...

It would look nice with a pile of rocks stacked high in the middle and a harem of N.pulchers. Providing they don't massacare each other. 30 cube would make a better discus or angle tank with some rams,maybe Kribs or something.It's a community fish tank.

• 2 weeks later...