Hello From A Cichlid Newbie

jeditait

Hello,

My names Tom I'm from Calgary, 33, 2 kids, 2 cats and a dog :). Recently picked up a 120 gallon tank off kijiji. Populated it with some plants and about 30 ish juvie cichlids.

This will be my first cichlid tank and I have tons of questions :).

Looking forward to meeting other aquarium enthusiasts and learning from you all!

See my tank setup @ https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A85n8hH4GctzC7

Cheers

Tom

Thanks wingin it, ill fix that later on tonight!

Jeremoose, I've been feeding them 3 times a day to try and avoid them touching the plants. Also I tried to stick with hardy plants to ensure they endure In the eventuality that they do decide to go to town on them. I prefer the look of the live plants so i figured why my give it a shot.

Is there a plant I can put in the tank that the cichlids will eat but will grow fast enough to replace itself??

Welcome and very nice setup. You have a very keen eye on aquascaping. Can't go wrong with cichlids! What's your favorite fish?

Mind sharing your filtration on the bad boy? Any plans to upgrade later down the line? I for one can't stand the look of cloudy water.

Is there a plant I can put in the tank that the cichlids will eat but will grow fast enough to replace itself??

You can always try plants...less expensive plants...lol Cichlids don't tend to touch Java Fern or Anubias 'cause they're typically tied to driftwood and apparently they taste bad. You might try other plants like Giant Vals or stick to plants that you don't mind keeping in pots (so that the fish don't dig them up).