Bn Plecos Juveniles... Disappeared?

jeremoose

Okay so long story short here: 1/2 inch BN Pleco's have disappeared basically overnight. They're in the tank with the parents and countless Red Rili Shrimp (plenty of Rili Shrimp babies in the tank). Tank is heavily planted and so I may not have noticed dead babies if there was/is any.

Ammonia 0 - Nitrite 0 - Nitrate 5 - PH 7.2

What's going on? I put my hand in and moved some Java Moss around and just uncovered more Shrimp.. Could something in here have killed the BN Pleco babies and NOT the shrimp juveniles? How would that be possible?

Have you checked everywhere? I've raised hundreds of BN juvies in the same tank as parents with cherry shrimp, so I don't see anything preying on your babies. If you're certain your readings are correct, I'd suspect they've found somewhere really good to hide (filter?).

The filtration is accomplished via a massive sponge filter, so no they haven't slipped in there. Readings were not taken from test strips by the way, lol. I'm hoping you guys are right and they'll just pop up the same as they disappeared.

None have turned up yet, I wonder what the problem was? So strange.

Hmm. What else is in the tank? I know baby plecos need to eat and eat and eat and perish rather quickly without food. Did you leave food out for them? For the parents?

Edited by Jayba

I have seen them hide very well indeed; just feed them and they will turn up

I have been feeding daily and haven't seen them sadly.

None have turned up yet, I wonder what the problem was? So strange.

Hmm. What else is in the tank? I know baby plecos need to eat and eat and eat and perish rather quickly without food. Did you leave food out for them? For the parents?

The tank has the parents and Rili Shrimp in it. I put food out twice daily for them. *shrug* Was I feeding the wrong items? I was giving them frozen bloodworms, algae waffers, and shrimp pellets.

Edited by jeremoose

Fresh zucchini ,green beans,potato , spinach

If you blanch it in the microwave for 1 min or so it will sink.......I put mine on a stainless steel desert fork just raw.

Edited by geleen

Fresh zucchini ,green beans,potato , spinach

If you blanch it in the microwave for 1 min or so it will sink.......I put mine on a stainless steel desert fork just raw.

When I get my next batch I'll try these more natural food options, thanks.