His Mouth Is How Big?

Omg, one of the betta ocellatas and the big yellow Gardeneri male, started a show down with each other. The betta just tried to eat the killi! It opened its mouth like a bass and boom. I waited a few moments and then when he wasn't releasing the killi, put my hand on the tank and poked him in the side. He spat out the killi, (who is swimming in jerky movements and stressed) before lazily swimming off. Could not believe how big the ocellatasouth got, insane!

Hahahaha...dang! There is a video going around where this guy in Texas is fishing on a lake and comes across a big mouth bass swollowing a similarly sized big mouth bass...he picks them up out of the water, and put them back in the lake and the both swim away! Guess it happens in nature too!

*sigh* hubby just fished the yellow killi out of tank. I guess having his head in the other guys mouth was too much for him. I had left him in the tank and turned out the lights rather than stress him out more by netting him. Hate to lose him but damn was better than watching the news this morning.

B. Ocellata are mouthbrooders so that's why he can expand his mouth so much. They can get nasty with any male of any species that looks similiar. I was keeping some b.simorum(bigger than occelata) together with a white giant male plakat betta. Caught the simorum and plakat giving each other the death stare so someone was removed. I'm sure your occelata was like "dude, what's up with the funny colour??? and now I will attempt to eat you....