Aquarium safe foam

canucklehead

I was wondering if anyone has a source or brand of foam/sponge material they use in their filters. I looked at a craft store but the only foam they had comes with anti-fungal treatment so its useless.

i am using the polyester/floss material from a craft store and it works great but I wanted a more durable replacement for my wet dry and AC 500's

Any suggestions?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny you should ask such a question, Canucklehead B) There is such a foam!

I have been using them for over ten years, now. I use them in my W/D BIO-TOWERS@.

They are available at your local larger ""Fanny Fabric "" type stores. Where a person goes to buy fabric for making clothes, etc....retail store.

These are true white [ no anti-fungal treatment copper or arsnic ].

They are used for pillows or appoulistry[sp].

Available in 1/2" to 6" thickness and any lenght you need. AND cheap :rolleyes:

The one inch thick ''white'' foam is easiest to clean.

The white foams have fine pores and are excellant as mechanical filters [polishing].

NOTE - the A/C foams are excellant as bio-foams. Whereas the white fine foams tend to need cleaning more often. If dirty water is filtered through them.

In some applications, I will stack ten - 1'' foams - for the mechanical filteration. When the top foam becomes dirty ... daily .. maintance; I just switch it with a fresh clean one.

Easy to clean - just wash-squeeze them in water till clean.

Smokey

I am not familar with Calgary.

Check out the yellow pages; under fabrics, Fabric shops, etc.... larger stores will carry the foam in huge rolls - just cut what you need.

Beware - these places are full of women with sharp objects.. :lol::lol::lol:

Easy to clean - just wash-squeeze them in water till clean.

I would like to mention that Foam blocks, not matter where they come from start to become nitrate traps no matter how much you rinse them. Any fish that are sensitive to nitrates should replace them over time. When they start to get old.

I didn't specify as it really depend on the fish you keep and how much waste is collected. I usually judge by trying to rinse it out. It it still seems like particles are stuck in there no matter how much you rinse it, I would get rid of it.

Rudy is correct! Cleaning is very important and necessary!

Perhaps, I should relate how I clean the white fine foams.

HOT TAP WATER....

Since I do not rely on the white foams for the bio-logical filteration ... MECHANICIAL ONLY!!

I place the dirty foams in HOT TAP water, letting them soak for a bit. To kill any bacteria, mirco worms, etc.

THEN wash them in FLOWING HOT TAP water, squeezing them repeatatly.

I do this until the foams rinse clean; and the water reamins clear and clean.

Rinse in clean declorinated water.

Let dry.

I have 3 sets of white foams for every filter that uses them.

I use the 1'' thick foam only! and stack them 3 high. This seems to polish the water nicely.

PLUS the A/C 500 foams - for the BIO-LOGICAL filteration.

One set in use, two sets ready for use.

I remove the dirty foams - daily maintance - and replace with a set of fresh clean ones.

I then wash the dirty foams. [ see above].

This way I always have at least one set of clean foams ready for use.

The foam is so inexpensive --- a person can afford to purchase a couple square meters and have it on hand for any need.

Some of my white foams are well over 3 years old. They do get to look a bit ratty after awhile ... then they become tank wiping/cleaning foams.

Reguarding A/C 500 foams: once a month I give them a cleaning. In tank ready water. This is to wash-out any nasties that may be colonizing them.

Since I rely on the A/C 500 foams for the BIO-LOGICAL I am careful not to wash away too many biological bacteria.

When I have some time I will post a pic of the filters and how the foams are placed. DIY section, of course. :D

Smokey