Where Do You Buy Your Fish? (Calgary)

Abby

Hi all,

Being new to this hobby in Calgary. . .I'm curious as to where folks recommend (or prefer) to buy their fish. I've been in to the Petland in Shawnessy several times and it's a bit alarming. . .every time I'm in there it seems like at least 50% of their fish are sick and they charge quite a bit more than everyone else. I've been pretty impressed with Big Al's so far but again, would like to hear about which LFS's people prefer.

Of course I'm looking for Fish health>Prices>Knowledge of Staff>Customer service (in that order)

Now if only more fish stores would open in the deep south I would be all set! :)

Cheers all,

Abby

Most of my cories are from Petland Shawnessy. Just picked up some axelrodis there yesterday. I'm also a big fan of Tanks-a-lot(which is where I got the rest of my c. axelrodis) and they have some stupidly cheap pricing on their plants. Golds has some great fish and isn't bad to get to from the south. Riverfront has great selection as does Pisces. And I have picked up a fish or two from Petsmart. Petland on 130 Ave seems to be more of cichlid store(which I'm not into) so I don't check in there much. Hope this helps!!

I go to Riverfront, Tanks-A-Lot, and Pisces for fish. Tanks a Lot has fantastic prices and very knowledgeable employees.

Thanks for that! I looked up Tanks a lot and it's on Elbow. . .I drive by it every day on my way to work and have never noticed that they sold fish. I thought they were just a pet supply store. I'll have to pop in. Cheers!

What are you looking for? Fairdeal's right close to you and probably has most of what you need.(And he's a site sponsor)

I'll actually be heading to fairdeals place tomorrow. Prior to joining this forum I didn't know he existed. I'm still not sure what I'm about to walk in to, but by all accounts his place is a fishkeepers utopia.

Thanks for the responses all. I'm going to head over to Pisces on the weekend and check it out. I haven't been in there yet.

I actually have found that I have had the most luck from Petland Shawnessy- anything I've gotten from anywhere else has died on me.

Really? Maybe I'm just going in at the wrong times. Every time I do everything I want is sick. I went looking for a few pleco's and every single one was being treated for something.

At the Calgary Aquarium Society meetings, they have mini auctions. I have never lost a fish that I have bought there. Far less stress on the fish, from one tank to yours. You never know what fish or plants are for auction but the prices are far lower than you would get at a LFS. I am sure there are some members that have what you are looking for, again at far lower prices than you would pay in the LFS. You don't have to be a member to attend but If you join the club you also will get discounts at some of the good fish stores. Another bonus is great people with a wealth of knowledge.

As a 'newbie' I am glad that I read the posts in this!!!! There are so many stores I had NO IDEA even existed!!!! I set up a tank for my daughter with the help of Petland (Deerfoot Meadows) and found that the guys working in the department can be 'hit or miss'. The one guy I like to talk to works Thursday nights and he is great!!!! I have also been up to Pisces, but I was with a friend of mine that is VERY knowledgeable with fish, so I didn't actually talk with anyone there except for when we decided which fish we wanted to get.

Guys where do you find these stores I'm googling can't find: riverfront, tanks-a-lot, fair deals. I got to Pisces, big ALS. I will give a big +1 to Pisces b/c you can get what ever you want/ if its not there ask for (Manager) and a big chance he will get you what you are looking for

At the Calgary Aquarium Society meetings, they have mini auctions. I have never lost a fish that I have bought there. Far less stress on the fish, from one tank to yours. You never know what fish or plants are for auction but the prices are far lower than you would get at a LFS. I am sure there are some members that have what you are looking for, again at far lower prices than you would pay in the LFS. You don't have to be a member to attend but If you join the club you also will get discounts at some of the good fish stores. Another bonus is great people with a wealth of knowledge.

This is very good info. Thank you for that.

I was considering going to a meeting or two, but I assumed that you had to be a member to attend (I have no problem becoming a member if it seems like something I will enjoy. .. which, if it's even half as supportive as this forum, I imagine it will be great).

Unfortunately I am tied up for this coming meeting but I do think I'll drop by in June!

Thanks again for the info.

Guys where do you find these stores I'm googling can't find: riverfront, tanks-a-lot, fair deals.

Rivetfront is in NE Off Barlow and center ave (ish), tanks-a-lot is in Paws pets off Heritage and Elbow. And Fairdeal is a private guy located in deep SW. He's on this forum too.