Mercury Poisoning From Therm?

SilverWolf

So, while cleaning my tank today I noticed my thermometer had water in it!!! I pulled it out right away and tossed it. It is a traditional floating thermometer with the mercury beads at the bottom. Are these still made of real mercury? Can my fish be poisoned from it? What should I do? I did a 50% change tonight.

Those little beads I believe are steel and are just to hold the bottom down to keep it upright. The red liquid is dyed alcohol. Most thermometers are alcohol thermometers.

I wouldn't give it a second thought...

Those little beads I believe are steel and are just to hold the bottom down to keep it upright. The red liquid is dyed alcohol. Most thermometers are alcohol thermometers.

I wouldn't give it a second thought...

Agreed, has happened to me several times over the years, now I use the metal backed thermometers, especially in my cichlid tanks.

I even have a battery powered one with just a probe that goes in the tank, I move it from tank to tank when I need to know if my heaters are

behaving correctly ;)