Aquaponic Kits - Should We Be Against Them?

So I came about this aquaponics kit, it supposedly filters out harmful things from a fish tank and uses it for plants. I looked at one major kit on kickstarter and it seems in NO way good for any fish! It looks like maybe 2 gallons of space (5 at tops)! Thats okay for shrimp but I don't think any fish would live a happy life in it. A betta would be able to live in it if it was designed differently to allow for air but they are showing guppies I think in the tank.

Here is the link:

store.backtotheroots.com/product_p/aquaponics.htm

So what do you guys and gals think of this?

My two cents... For a betta no, but a few small fish like a guppy or two (males only) could work if you did still do some WC, before the intense line breeding / heavy chlorinating of water , a person could keep guppies in a large bowl without issue and without water conditioners added. You could pull this off with just straight rain water. But just my opinion.

Your typical Betta-bowl gimmic... If you want a real Aquaponics system, I'll be selling mine in the next month! :)

I think the bad thing is, they are marketing this to people who know nothing about fish. I think if you know stuff about fish, this is OK, but for a starter this is not good. I think that if you have a say, 50 gallon tank for aquaponics its OK. Goldfish seem great for this thing as the amount of waste they give off is a ton. But only in a large system.