Greetings Fish Fans

cidley69

WOW, aquarium enthusiasts are sure friendly people, nice to be a member here!

So, after reading about the nitrogen cycle, I figured some fish in my system to provide the ammonia to start the system would be a good start.

So now there are 2 Zebra Danios and 2 Tiger Barbs in my tank. They sure love all the room in there, and the Zebras body-surf the current from the filter all the time, great to watch!

The only problem is: the Zebras are WAY faster then the Tigers, when its time to eat, the Zebras devour everything before the Tigers get a chance to get any (they get about 10-20% of the total, the small peices the Zebras miss in their frenzy.

Is this normal to have a little 'survival of the fittest' scenario in my tank? Should I be holding the fast fish aside while the slow ones eat?

Maybe if I just feed the fast ones tell they won't eat any more, then the slow fish will get there chance to eat.

I don't want o over feed them though. From what I have read the feeding should be twice a day, and the amount should be just enough that they eat it all within a minute with no leftovers.

Does this sound right? Is there much risk of over feeding a fish, or does more food just mean faster growing (and more #2)?

:bang1:

any ideas would be really helpfull.

thanks!