Real vs Plastic Plants

cidley69

I am new at aquarium hobbying, and was wondering about plants in my tank.

Are aquatic plants difficult to grow and maintain? I do have several house plants that are alive and well, so my thumb isn't black at all. But I am not sure about underwater plant care.

Would anyone have a plant suggestion for someone with no experience?

OR, should i simply go with plastic plants at first and focus on just keeping my fish alive and well?

Any thought would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

I will start what will wind up being a lot of questions followed by lots of answers. First I suggest you read some of the posts in the plant forum. These people all specialize in planted tanks. Second the biggest consideration is what you are having as fish in your tank. If you have cichlids they will either eat them, or tear them up if they just don't like them or it disrupts their line of sight. I mean it is possible with certain plants and creative positioning. Third, most off the shelf aquarium kits provide inadequate lighting for plants to thrive, which you can help by placing the tank where you receive sunlight, but then you run the risk of overheating the tank and having algae that you can harvest by the bushel. As you can see, your question cannot be answered without us asking you a lot of questions in return, but please feel free, thats what we are here for. :) One other thing that is really important......WELCOME TO A.A.!!!! -ham- -ham- -ham- -ham-

Edited by HOSStile

I have to add that a few low light plants, Java fern, Hygrophilla polysperma, Anubias (sp), will grow with very low light. They may not thrive, but they will grow.

Edited by J-ROC

1) Yep, it's that easy. Get some jungle val and watch them spread. Try a few low light varieties, stick with the cheap (or free) stuff and see what works.

2) I have a tank full of various Tanganyikan cichlids who love to swim through the plants. They are smart enough not to destroy their surroundings.

3) I hate fake.

Ok maybe I was being overly general in that Cichlids will always destroy plants, The point I am trying to make is that He/She will have to be a little more specific when it comes to what fish He/She decides to keep. The cichlids I keep chew or destroy the plants I put in with them. No I have not tried water onion or the the other plants that cichlids find disagreeable but the fish I keep don't care if it tastes good or not, they want them gone. IMHO you really haven't answered the question of what plants does this person want to keep and what fish does this person want to keep them with? No Offence to anyone and none taken. :)

Edited by HOSStile

IMHO you really haven't answered the question of what plants does this person want to keep and what fish does this person want to keep them with? No Offence to anyone and none taken. :)

I'am just wondering who you are refering to?

If you are refering to me. I wasn't trying to answer any question, but clear up the misinformation that all cichlid eat or distroy plants.

No offence, and none taken.

After looking into what guest said above, i think i am going to go with Java Fern (ps my name is Fern too) and hygophila polysperma.

from what i have read about them they are good plants for novices, and cichlids won't even eat them (so i have read).

thanks for everyone input on the subject,

You guys/gals all rock!

:thumbs: