Someone Explain Angelfish To Me...please...

flash_oesc

Ok, so my wife wants Angelfish. I'm having a few problems:

1. My wife.

2. She is no help in the type she wants.

3. She is very specific in what they must look like.

Essentially, she likes the black, marble, blue, white...etc But in my google searching, I can't find anything definitive in the types I'm showing her pictures of.

My hope, is that someone can explain the different species and then the different colours available of each species, the sizes they get, and HOPEFULLY with pretty pictures from their own tanks that I can show her, so that this endless circle can end.

Problem 4 is getting them to Fort McMurray, Alberta.

Any help would be much appreciated.

With her interest in angels, maybe suggest buying/ordering online a book so she could go through and pick. If they are just for pleasure of admiring, then she could just pick a color/pattern that catch her fancy. Think of it as a catalog lol. Let her do the research. With something like this, probably going to make a trip to Edmonton or order online. Fort Mac really needs a pet store, I have heard the one that does have fish isn't the greatest for quality.

You may also need to do a bit of research on what can go into the tank with them since they are cichlids and may eventually eat up any tetras or small fish in your tank. Nothing a little tank reorganization wouldn't fix though. Just thought I would mention it in case it ends the idea of angels based on what you have in tank already. Another excuse for adding a brand new tank to the collection perhaps?

Try koi angelfish.

I like the koi fish, but sadly, I'm not entitled to an opinion yet...maybe next year...lol

Happy wife, happy life...............she likes fish.......happy you

Good luck

J

I attempt to live by this motto...She really loves fish, she just hates tanks, filters, lights,...etc She wants to just have a big tank full of things that shouldn't be together, but give them a pep talk so they play friendly...lol

You may also need to do a bit of research on what can go into the tank with them since they are cichlids and may eventually eat up any tetras or small fish in your tank. Nothing a little tank reorganization wouldn't fix though. Just thought I would mention it in case it ends the idea of angels based on what you have in tank already. Another excuse for adding a brand new tank to the collection perhaps?

I think I'm stuck with my current tanks for a few years. But one can dream. I plan on stocking the 55G with Angels, Rams and Plecos...I'll be removing my tetras.

With her interest in angels, maybe suggest buying/ordering online a book so she could go through and pick. If they are just for pleasure of admiring, then she could just pick a color/pattern that catch her fancy. Think of it as a catalog lol. Let her do the research. With something like this, probably going to make a trip to Edmonton or order online. Fort Mac really needs a pet store, I have heard the one that does have fish isn't the greatest for quality.

As for ordering online, I've checked a few places, and can't seem to find someone to ship that type up here. Spencer Jack doesn't have any stock, Charles at Canadian Aquatics only has altums, Peruvians and angels from Columbia, but I can't get a verification on colours yet. Canadian Aqua Farms has no Angels...anywhere else you know of? I have a feeling I'll be driving down to Edmonton...but I was hoping to have them come to me :)

The 4th is a silver or wild-type scalare. The top is a black, 2 is a mable, and 3 is a blue platinum (normal blue inset). If you do make a trip to Edmonton, you should be able to find (or arrange to find) any type that you're after - the hardest to find is the blue, but they're also the most expensive (by far!), and usually need to be tracked down thru other members (don't know if fairdeal still has a line on them).

The 4th is a silver or wild-type scalare. The top is a black, 2 is a mable, and 3 is a blue platinum (normal blue inset). If you do make a trip to Edmonton, you should be able to find (or arrange to find) any type that you're after - the hardest to find is the blue, but they're also the most expensive (by far!), and usually need to be tracked down thru other members (don't know if fairdeal still has a line on them).

So with these names, the black, marble, silver scalare and blue platinum or normal blue, that's what I should be looking for online to purchase? Are they all one species, or is the scalare different from the other 3? I guess what I'm asking, is if I'm looking through a fish list, will those be the names they are called?

The scientific name for the common angel - and pretty much all of the different color varieties you find - is Pterophylum scalare. Unless they are called Altum or leopold, they are a color form of scalare. If its just called an angel (whatever color) it is a scalare.

The scientific name for the common angel - and pretty much all of the different color varieties you find - is Pterophylum scalare. Unless they are called Altum or leopold, they are a color form of scalare. If its just called an angel (whatever color) it is a scalare.

Thank you. That's what I was thinking, but I was getting some conflicting information...stupid google...haha

• 9 months later...

If you buy angelfishes when they are young and raise them with smaller tetras, they won't see them as food when they get larger. However, once they get large, any new fish you add in there, they will chase and try to eat it, even if it doesn't fit in its mouth...but if the new fishes are fast and larger, the angelfishes will give up after a while, thats what happened when I added glass catfishes into my tank with 8 mature angelfishes. They tried to eat the larger glass catfishes and left the smaller neons and cardinal tetras (fishes it grew up with) alone.