Corydora Growth?

flash_oesc

So, I returned from Edmonton with some new fishies last night. They looked good in the store, and I didn't get a good chance to look at them in the bag, I was transferring them in the semi-dark to a tank that I kept the lights off in. This morning, everyone was active and eating, with the exception of this little guy. Pardon the poop and NLS, but he chose to sit in the middle of the tank. Any corydora experts want to weigh in on this?

In QT with him is 2 angels, 2 apistogramma cacatuoids, 5 healthy schooling corydoras.

Thanks in advance!

93f97149-7a47-4113-a3ea-f8af4992bfbc_zps

Is that a cottony growth or a water spot on the glass? If you're pointing at a little piece of skin or tube-like thing on its face, I'd assume that's a nostril. If that is indeed a cottony growth, it's likely a fungus. Methyl Blue will kill it, but it's a harsh chemical. I know many of us add Almond leaves or alder cones... even peat... to keep fungus at bay for eggs - it may have the desired affect in the QT - none of your fish would mind it at all.

Otherwise, lots of WCs and good quality food (like NLS :thumbs:) will help an otherwise healthy fish fight any infection.

Thanks Jason. It does look like a cottony growth. He just sits in the middle, not moving. Even when other fish are frantic around him, he just chills. I have a few almond leaves (came with my shrimp order). Anything special need to be done to them first, or do I just toss a couple in the tank? Tommy told me to soak them for 24 hours before adding to the shrimp tank.

So the tank is a QT tank (pristine, new water with established filters), feeding NLS Thera A.

That poor Cory didn't last the night. I've now lost another one with no visible sign of why. I now have a third one acting weird for a day or so, then today white fuzz appeared on his tail. Is this Methyl Blue you speak of going to harm any other fish? Is there a less harsh treatment?

Methyl Blue is kinda like Chemotherapy - it will take out the fuzz, but it'll also take out your biofilter. Start by adding a bit of aquarium salt (follow instructions on box or online) and add a couple almond leaves.

I have recently read some interesting on-line articles of people using H2O2 for treatment of bacterial and fungal infections in fish maybe some others on AA have some experience using this method.

I have successfully used it myself for treating BGA with no ill effects & I have begun to use it as a replacement for bleach for disinfecting equipment.

Methyl Blue is kinda like Chemotherapy - it will take out the fuzz, but it'll also take out your biofilter. Start by adding a bit of aquarium salt (follow instructions on box or online) and add a couple almond leaves.

I just did salt and heat on my other QT tank to get rid of ICH with great success. I wasn't sure about salt with cories...they won't have any adverse reaction to it?

I'm pretty sure I'm never buying fish from a pet store again. ever. (that's a lie...but it felt good to say).

I have recently read some interesting on-line articles of people using H2O2 for treatment of bacterial and fungal infections in fish maybe some others on AA have some experience using this method.

I have successfully used it myself for treating BGA with no ill effects & I have begun to use it as a replacement for bleach for disinfecting equipment.

Interesting! I've heard of people using it to clean bleach after cleaning a tank, and also just using it to clean...but I've never heard of medicating fish with it.

Have you thought of sending this thread to the store?

I hadn't. I find the stores I've dealt with try and blame the customer for one reason or another. I had another thread about fish from my local store where we argued about whether a tank is cycled or not...

I may forward this along to store, but I don't see any resolution coming from them. If I wasn't 5 hours away from the store, I would have taken advantage of the guarantee (if they even have one? not sure...), but driving 5 hours for a couple dead fish isn't worth it - even though I'm mighty angry -lol

Well, my thoughts have been confirmed, it would appear the half-black angel isn't eating. I thought he maybe just waited for me to leave...but I don't think that's the case.

Got a good pic of the cory with the tail issue, I'll upload in a minute. I'll forward this thread along to the store owner...I spent over $300 there on Sunday, we'll see what they say.