Diy Overflow - Can You Tell Which One Was The "learning" One?

JayWho

I've been making a DIY overflow the past week when I have time here and there. Tonight I finally cemented the pvc together, and think it's hilarious to look at the two overflows side-by-side. You can see how crooked the first one I did is (right side), compared to the second (left side), before I figured out how to do it properly, lol.

The first one I followed some advice I heard about doing the elbow joints first, and using a flat surface to press the bottoms onto to make sure they are level - which when then adding the pipe parts, realized they weren't straight at all... haha

The second one I got it figured...

Once they're cured I'll cement the rest of the plumbing. Hopefully the crooked one still works ok!

overflow_zps72c55969.jpg

Edited by JayWho

Yep. You can't see it very well but there's 3 rubbermaid containers there; smallest/top one is my drip-tray with quilt batting, which drips into the second largest, which holds several gallons of plastic dish scrubbies from the dollarstore, has a few holes drilled in one side to drain into the largest rubbermaid and will get pumped back up to the tank.

It has been a great little project to work on! And once it's finished and running, I'll be able to properly stock my Tanganyikan tank, cause it'll be over-filtered nicely!

Just a thought, is that direct window sunlight you are getting in that pic? If that is you final tank placement, you might be battling algae for as long as you have the tank there. If you have a choice, an alternate location that doesn't get direct sunlight would be easier to manage.

It might get direct sunlight for half an hour right at sunrise, but otherwise the angle of the sun will never catch it. Either way, I have floor-to-cieling curtains that can be drawn at night so the sun is kept out the next morning.

The water looks so "bright" because of the fine particulate floating around from me rearranging the rocks so the overflows would have space.

• 4 weeks later...

So, I seem to be having issues with both overflows operating to their capacity at the same time. Usually one seems to operate fine, and the other barely flows. I am wondering if it's my crooked cementing job (I would tend to doubt it though), or because they are plumbed in together to a "T" of the same size - and maybe it should have been larger, to accommodate the flow from both overflows? I can't see through the PVC obviously, but I have clear vinyl tubing for the last portion of the plumbing after the "T" and it seems to be coming out in spurts, with air pockets in between. I'm not sure if that's normal, or if it's because of my plumbing; or something else that I'm unaware of...

Anyone know what my possible issues could be?

Either way, I think I am just going to separate them, and plumb them into my wet/dry independently. Go from there.

They probably both flow just fine, I'm willing to bet you'll have something similar when you separated them. If they aren't built exactly the same and set to the same height in the tank you are going to have differences. Especially in the in-tank portion; if they aren't exactly the same, the lower one will probably be running full syphon and the taller one doing... Nothing. If they are very close but not same I can see the taller one sometimes getting some action.

So what was your goal with the dual? Was it redundancy, which you lose with it being T'd together, or for even flow or something else completely?

Just redundancy, and since having made them, am glad for two as I will be looking to push the flow rate to the maximum for filtration as well. I'm going to try my best to make the standpipes in the tank the same height, so they both run.

T'ing them together was just a mistake. I thought it was a good idea at the time, and would look good, but realized fairly quickly after that I shouldn't have.

Edited by JayWho

I'm likely going to have to change the height again anyway, as I'm pretty sure I'll have to modify the standpipes to Durso's at some point for quietness.

Good luck with the current setup... I did that for a while and gave up on it and went with an overflow box.

If you are already thinking about durso... I suggest that you also look at the herbie. In the end I went with the herbie with a coast-to-coast overflow box and I'm very happy with it. It is very easy to tune and pretty hard to mess up.

http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/

Check it out :)

Edit: also lookup Beananimal overflow. It is similar to the Herbie style

Edited by cainechow

I'm likely going to have to change the height again anyway, as I'm pretty sure I'll have to modify the standpipes to Durso's at some point for quietness.

If you do decide to stick with just a standpipe overflow instead of going with a box (ie. Herbie - I agree, they're awesome!), look at a reverse Durso. All the extra pipe is in the sump and it's just as quiet.

Just thought of this:

If both of the pipes go to the same t, the volume of how much water flows will be determined by that bottleneck. The first pipe to start a siphon would claim it's stake percentage to the 100% of the flow. That being said the other pipe would take whatever of the 100% it can steal away. So if you plug one pipe, the other should dramatically speed up.

If I understand it properly.