Newbie Looking For Advice

Bruno

Been thinking of trying Cichlids and am looking for some advice. The tank I would consider using is a 37 G (30 1/4 x 12 1/2 x 22 3/4) with dual Aquaclear 70's. I'd like some Electric Yellow Labs, and maybe something blue. I am getting conflicting advice so thought I would turn here and see what advice everyone here had.

I was told that I could have about 50 cichlids in that tank. I have read that overstocking to control aggression is a good idea, but it seems like that is much higher then everything else I have read. I have also been told numbers from 4 to 12 in this tank.

I would like to have a colourful, active tank - any advice would be appreciated...

Whoa...50 is definitely too many if they're going to be adult cichlids....IMO. Yellow Labs will be easy to locate. Blue cichlids could be blue Moorii, or my fav. Mbuna, the Polit! I would probably stock between 10-14(ish) if you have ample hiding places in a tank that "small". Of course you could upgrade to a larger tank and stock more Mbuna which is way cooler...lol (BTW, I have several for sale! lol)

Whoever said 50 fish, must have meant fry! Personally, I'd start with 4-6 yellow labs and 4-6 Melanochromis cyanearhabdos that are at the 2" or less mark. I'd let them get to spawning size and after the first couple spawns, I'd start selling off a few of the largest fish... or just keep a pair of each. The two species aren't overly aggressive and are quite complimentary in color.

It will depend on the cichlids that you choose. Yellow labs are a Mbuna but a relatively tame one at that. Some Mbunda are downright nasty. I would say 1 male and 3 females Yellow Labs and another behaved cichlid like an Acei. My all time favorite for a blue cichlid is Copadichromis Azereus.

I haven't kept cichlids in anything smaller than a 55. It is hit or miss, some males are well tempered, others will throw the whole tank into chaos. Good luck. Hope this helps.

According to the internet, my tank is a fluke. I started with a 55G with 6 labs and 12 demasoni. That's going back quite awhile. I have had 0 deaths, and constant breeding. They are in a 75G filled with cichlid stones. I've sold over 60+ fish (babies first, then adults). I still have a crap ton of each, and consistently have holding mothers. I find that hiding spaces make all the difference.

I wish I had the foot print for another 55g, but we just got one for our son and he wants to keep his community fish. So I have his 'old' 37g and the only other spot in the house my wife will give up for a tank will squeeze a 30" tank in, so 37g is my max. If I can put a dozen smaller cichilds in there I will be happy.

I like the yellow lab, and the some of the blue options above will look good, so just thought maybe a third colour or variation might be a nice touch - so if red is a hard color to match into the other 2 choices, are there any other nicely coloured ones that would work in that same size and aggression range?

Have fun setting up your new tank. That is one of the best parts of the hobby. I usually stock mbuna at a ratio of one fish per 5 gallons. (Give or take a fish or two or three) Works for me. I think the yellow tail acei does not get the attention it deserves. They liven up the tank, are really not aggressive, and as adults the males are absolutely phenomenal.

Thanks. Working on my wife to convince her a 90 gallon would look good in the living room... that would make this easier. Failing that it seems that sexing electric yellows is petty difficult, so to be safe I may try 6 of them and 6 of the Melanochromis cyanearhabdos as suggested by jvision above. It will give me a starting point anyway and when I convince my wife (I am thinking positive here) on the 90 I can move them in there and then branch out and try some others.

So the electric yellows look like they ar epopular and wont be hard to find - anyone know where to get Melanochromis cyanearhabdos?

Going to swap over the tank to sand and get some rocks in there for hiding spots to get prepared...

The M. cyanerhabdos are often called Maingano. I made them quite common in these parts about 7or 8 years when Kyle brought some home from Malawi, but for some reason I don see them around much. Maybe Fairdeal has some? Big Al's seems to have the best selection of African cichlids in town - maybe they can get some? Sometimes they're called Electric Blue Auratus b they are very similar to the Auratus, but the Auratus are mean and males turn yellow.

Next question - do I need to put in a full stock right away or can I add each of them as I find them? Basically I am worried about adding 6 electric yellows now and having them beat the poop out of each other as they are not overstocked. Or is that less of an issue with the yellow labs since they seem to be a more 'peaceful' mbuna then most? I dont want to let a long time go between adding all the fish, but if I order the yellow labs from Spencer Jacks and then hopefully I can find someone to order the maingano - well chance are slim they will all arrive the same day or even week.

I am also hopeful Sundays auction may surprise me - anyone bring either of my choices? Or some rusty's if I cant find the maingano?