Pleco Id

JayWho

I have had this pleco for over a year now. It was living in a 10 gallon tank until a few weeks ago when I moved it into a 50 gallon.

I was under the impression that it was a "regular" pleco, but it would have grown some (it is pretty much the same size as when I bought it - 2").

Anyone know what type of pleco this could be? I am unfamiliar with the various species.

Also, is it possible for them to just be "slow-starting" growers? Or do I definitely have some other type?

(those little white flecks are grains of sand - not ich) ;)

46947_10151730870797762_1483021284_n_zps

Edited by JayWho

Hmm, interesting considering I just added 4 juvenile albino bristlenose plecos... They've all been doing a lot of jostling with each other, but the one pictured above is the largest so comes out on top.

I'm not as good at IDing Ancistrus as some members (syno321, Catmandu), but I would tend to aggree with flyfisher; except...

The spotting is consistant with a juvie common BN, but after a year, they usually put on some size and darken up a bit. Was the 10gal crouded, or less than ideal conditions? If so, that could be why she's still small. Is the 1yr old age, an over estimate? That happens to me all the time - I often over guess the age unless I actually go back to the date of purchase or birth.

If neither of these are the case, you could very well have a different species of Ancistrus. Ancistrus claro stays small, is spotted and has a bit flatter body profile than the common BN. They also have a wider mouth, and it kinda looks like she's got a pretty wide mouth - a pic of her ventral side would help. I think the spotting on A. claro is more honeycomb, tho...

If she puts on some size in the bigger tank, let us know. If so, then the original suggestion is probably right.

You both seem sure it's a female - how do you easily tell? Or is that just the assumption, based on the bristlenose ID and the fact that it has no bristles?

The age is definitely correct - I'd even go as far as saying a year and a half by now.

The 10 gallon had a few issues. Ich. A mild case of neglect on my part during some stressful times. It's possible it may have gotten stunted.

I do often remark on how wide and flat it is, compared to what I expect. It is somewhat comparable to the albino bristlenose I added though.

Ventral side, as in, her bottom? Get a pic of her on the glass basically?

If she is a bristlenose - will she potentially breed with one of my male albino bristlenose once it matures? Or will they not mix?

Edited by JayWho

If it is a BN (I'm sure it's an Ancistrus of some kind), the absence of bristles confirms it a female. If the tank was neglected, then there's a good chance she's stunted. A. claro wasn't overly common a couple years ago, so it probably is a common BN.

Once your male albino(s) mature they will breed with this female (if they like each other!). Their kids will all be normal color, but carry the albino gene.

Here's a pic of her on the glass:
null_zpsf5922815.jpg

Here are a couple shots of one of the albinos - not sure how old they are, but I can see little bristle nubs on the noses of at least two of them starting to form (not the one in the pic):
null_zps5198d256.jpg

null_zpsc33681c3.jpg