Considering Changing Stock - Suggestions Please

Cap'n

I'm becoming bored withy planted discus tank. Considering either returning to Tanganyikans or trying a large South American for the first time.

I love the plants, and the driftwood, but I still have enough rock saved to make another good Tanganyikan aquascape. I know I could do almost any group of tangs and have babies and that would be very interesting. But also thinking a single or couple really big fish would be fun, and easy.

Background: kept fish for 30+ years, 90g bow front, more filtration and power heads than I need.

What would you do?

Thanks for all the replies folks, some good ideas.

Jeremoose - leaning towards Midas. Would I be able to keep 2 in my 90g corner?

Ranger - had Severums before, too messy, ate all my plants, not into them. I guess if I had to have fish that destroyed all my plants I want it big enough for the effort

Jayba - I considered altums when I made the switch from marine to discus a few years ago, wouldn't their behaviour be very similar? How drastically would I have to change my tank for tapajos? I do find them very interesting.

Ck - I can't see using my big 90 for nothing but shrimp and plants, too slow for me. Maybe my little cube, but would rather use it for fry

Jaywho - yep, hard to deny how that would satisfy. I get big fish along with smaller interesting behaviour and fry. And I am Tanganyikan biased as well. But never had a big South American, thought it might be fun for the kids to have a wet pet for years.

Deano - that's what I have now - discus, Cory cats, and a big school of cardinals.

Thanks again, lots to contemplate

Real stoked on the idea of green terrors. Watched some videos, read lots, think that's the direction I'm going to go. I have long term plans for a very large tank (arrowana!) so they can eventually go there. By then I can get back into tanganyikans in the 90. Would do that now, but feel the urge for something new.

Thanks again folks!