Advice Needed! Rescued Silver Arowana

Serenity

Hey everyone, been a while since I was on. Lots changed. Had to reduced my number of tanks as well as I lost my aquascape and had to relocate all my tanks into the basement. Bright side is I got some new lovely fish for cheap from local hobbyists leaving the scene and free from others due to unfortunate circumstances.

This post is pertaining to my most recent acquisition. Someone had a beautiful silver arowana in a tank far to small for his size. He is currently in my 75gal and needs a bigger tank asap which I'm working on but for the time being I want him to settle in and de-stress as he has been moved through 3 different tanks in less then 24 hours and the moves were not graceful or smooth.

ADVICE NEEDED

3 things.

1 - Firstly, due to the fact he was in a small tank the front of his face/muzzle is worn completely raw and in bad shape. Has anyone dealt with this? Tips on faster healing or things to be careful about? Any idea how long it might take them to regrow/heal/regen?

2 - First time keeping a fish this size and this type so any advice at all would be awesome! I can read everything on the internet possible but trust you guys more so fire away.

3 - The previous owner had him purely on feeder fish and frozen foods. I know they need a varied diet, could you give any advice on helpful ways to transition to pellet? Which foods works best for you?

Much appreciated! Pics to come, phone is dead and wife has the camera currently at a trade show.

Hey everyone, been a while since I was on. Lots changed. Had to reduced my number of tanks as well as I lost my aquascape and had to relocate all my tanks into the basement. Bright side is I got some new lovely fish for cheap from local hobbyists leaving the scene and free from others due to unfortunate circumstances.

This post is pertaining to my most recent acquisition. Someone had a beautiful silver arowana in a tank far to small for his size. He is currently in my 75gal and needs a bigger tank asap which I'm working on but for the time being I want him to settle in and de-stress as he has been moved through 3 different tanks in less then 24 hours and the moves were not graceful or smooth.

ADVICE NEEDED

3 things.

1 - Firstly, due to the fact he was in a small tank the front of his face/muzzle is worn completely raw and in bad shape. Has anyone dealt with this? Tips on faster healing or things to be careful about? Any idea how long it might take them to regrow/heal/regen?

2 - First time keeping a fish this size and this type so any advice at all would be awesome! I can read everything on the internet possible but trust you guys more so fire away.

3 - The previous owner had him purely on feeder fish and frozen foods. I know they need a varied diet, could you give any advice on helpful ways to transition to pellet? Which foods works best for you?

Much appreciated! Pics to come, phone is dead and wife has the camera currently at a trade show.

1. Clean water and a little salt is best for healing wounds.

2. Aro's are notorious and powerful jumpers, make sure the top is not only fully covered but secured down so he can't forcefully push the top off.

3. Best way to transition to pellets (especially for larger fish) is just give him ONLY pellets. Eventually he will eat and with a fish as large as this one he's not going to miss a couple meals. People on MFK suggest that if he doesn't eat for a week, give in, give him some feeders, and try again. If he's been eating only pellets and frozen foods he's probably going to be malnourished (I'm assuming it was poor quality frozen food) so he's going to need the best food you can provide for him, preferably NLS.

OK so here is is an honest attempt at advice on this guy.

1) yes keep the water as clean as possible, change 20% daily

2) I use Melafix for any wounds, the melalueca tree oil promotes fish's own natural healing process, time may vary but it works fairly quick

3) ensure good current and oxygenation of the water, this will also ensure healing with high o2 taken in by the gills

4) Don't just throw pellets only in for food as it may take a week or more to try eating pellets by then it may be too weak and malnourished from it's experiences. I feed mine raw prawns, try stuffing food sticks or pellets into the prawn to introduce vitamins and minerals that may be lacking to its diet. One thing people do is feed lots of pellets etc to live food then feed them to the Aro. I'd wait until it's fully healthy to try only pellets, now is maybe not the best time to switch. When you do I find it helped to have other fish around who eat pellets to show the Aro it's good to eat. That worked for me my Indo Dat showed the Aro pellets are good. I still alternate between frozen food and pellets to vary the diet on all my fish.

5) post pics when possible, good luck !!