I Need A Do-Over.

creekbottom

I have a 30 gallon, I don't like. I'm completely tearing down and doing everything over!! New substrate, whole new plan for hardscape and planting.

I'm going to pull the plants and put them in a bare ten gallon for safe keeping while I put in new substrate and build the hardscape and let silicone dry.

Questions:

What is the best adhesive for glueing slate tile together? I have GE clear silicone I 'all purpose.' Google has many different answers for this.

How long does it take fissidens to attach to slate? While I've got the water out I thought I would give some moss a chance to attach with a sort of dry start.

The tank is rimless, what do I use for a mat underneath it? Or, do I even need one?

Thanks!

If it's the GE Silicone with the picture of a bathtub and toilet and stuff on it's the wrong stuff! The bathroom silicone has chemicals in it to stop gunk from growing. The stuff you want has a picture of a Window on it I believe. I've used the GE "Window stuff" on 3 silicone jobs now with no ill effects.

We have a topic for this here...lets see if I can find this again.

Here: http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=36149&hl=silicone

Might be okay over 85,000 views from the internet! :)

Any silicone will stick very well to porous slate!

I'd suggest to silicone down some panty hose (one buck from the $1 store...or raid your spouse/significant other's closet). Fissiden is a funny plant so I'd suggest to do everything you can to help it attach to the rock. Once it grows, you won't see that fire engine red fishnet stocking. You don't need tonnes of stocking just a few small pieces to give it more to hold onto.

For underneath some people like Styrofoam. If there is no rim on the bottom either then the glass bottom will directly contact whatever your placing it on. Just make sure that other direct contact object does not absorb water as it could bow and crack the bottom. Have I seen that happen? no...but it could.

Edited by ckmullin

I've used silicone and slate and it's worked well. But no idea on what you trying to do...as in load the structure will take. Give also a look see @ mighty putty. Works damn good and aquarium safe. You can again buy it at local $1 stores for a buck. The kind that has two parts you mix together.

If you know someone who used to be "into yoga", but hasn't gone in years, cut their yoga mat to fit under the tank. Very low profile, so you won't even see it. If you have the tank on a solid surface, like a proper stand, desk or table, you'll be fine with just the mat. However, if you have the tank on a potentially uneven surface, you may want to go with Kieth's suggestion of foam - I use 1/2" on home-made stands.

How long does it take fissidens to attach to slate? While I've got the water out I thought I would give some moss a chance to attach with a sort of dry start.

Most of the moss in the hobby is true aqua,,,and not going to appreciate any dry time.

just personal opine here but; I think the 'attaching abilities' of moss have been long over exaggerated

Fissidens WILL attach to almost anything, some of mine attached to the black plastic divider/sump wall in my 5 gallon fluval spec, but its a real slow grower so it takes a looooong time, I think that moss was in there for 4 months and it still had a fairly tenuous hold.

Java and christmas moss will grab on much more quickly and then you can cheat and mush your fissidens into the java so it all grows together... It can look sloppy or cool, depending on luck and careful trimming.

Edited by blink