75G Stocking.

CatWhat

I decided to go with a South American community tank for the 75G. I have been back and forth about it but I figured this option would give me the most stocking options. Also what help me decide was that Tetras are one of the few species I have not bred yet so I figured two birds one stone (of course I would have to remove a spawning group). I already started stocking the tank with 16 Black Neons but I am thinking I would like if there were one or two more shoals of tetras in there as well. Also I wouldn't mind adding a small group of Rams if that would work. It was suggested by fellow hobbyists in the area that a pair of Angels would look nice, I do like the idea but I am not sure of the aggression level.

Anyway I am open to suggestion everyone. Thanks for the help.

Here is a pic of the tank:

2014-01-31154336_zps9bc9a85b.jpg

If your not going species /subspecies specific in your tank I've found that Neon's go real good with the Ember Tetra, Harlequin Rasbora, and Green Neon Rasbora. All schooling fish.. Glowlite Tetra's are not to bad too, but a little more on the slower side of schooling. While the Green Neon Rasbora, are more on the darting around type. The Ember Tetra seem to be a more tight forming group. I can make a video if you want to see what they all look like together in a 20 Gallon.

Just a suggestion if your looking for ideas.

I've had angels with neon's before, never had an aggression problem, I've even had tanks with Betta fish with angels, at first they were bothered alot, then one angel had enough and would attack the betta if it came near, Ended up growing the fastest of the 5 angels I had, Like a bull.

On the other hand, I've never tried Rams before. so i cant state on its compatibility.

It would be awesome to see a video of your Ember Tetras DJ. I spotted those at the LFS where I bought the Black Neons, they would add some nice color to the tank. I pondered on Pencil fish as well and Apistoss, though I would only get either the Rams or Apistos.

Ok, well here is the video, you will see the Ember's hanging around the left side of the tank, and the two green neon rasbora darting about, Around the 50 second mark I'll call them all over to the left side of the tank so you can see them all grouped together.

hope it helps to give you an idea of what they would all look like together. I love schooling fish... Sorry about the crappy video quality, best i can do on my cell phone.

Thanks, that's a great video and nice looking tank by the way. I do like the ember tetras, they would add some red coloration that would look nice. Better alternate to Serpae Tetras that's for sure. I defiantly have a lot of narrowing down to do. Ultimately I would like to have a couple of school of small tetras and a shoal of larger type tetras, like Bleeding Heart tetras or Emperor tetras. One of the LFS does have the bleeding hearts but upon further inspection most seem that they have bent spines.

I've gotten some high quality tetras from Canadian Aquatics several times. If you buy in quantity, you always get a great price! Put together a group order to break up the cost of shipping.

• 5 months later...