cloudy eye

mulakka

I noticed that one of my fish has one eye that is a cloudy blueish color, I didnt really notice in the tank he was in before because the lighting was darker. I can not tell if it is getting worse or if it is just bugging me over time. A few months back I almost lost him due to a ammonia/nitrate spike in my aquarium, I had a filter "crap out" on me and I had to leave town for a week so I place a new filter on which caused the spike, could that be why he has a screwed up eye? Or is there something wrong? I heard that ammonia poisoning can cause brain trauma along with other long term affects....

Thanks,

mulakka

I have heard of high ammonia causing eye problems. I have never had this problem myself. But I know people who have had fish with cloudy eyes from the ammonia spike. I dont think there is anything you can do about the eye. However The cloudy eye doesnt seem to bother the fish at all. I dont know if they are blind now or what?

Gina

I've had this cloudy eye problem before. One of my old peacocks had this. He was getting picked on and then one day i noticed his eyes were cloudy(like he has cataracts). So i believe this time it was due to bullying/damage. I also had another female red empress develope this. Not exactly sure what caused hers but she was stressed being the only female so i guess that contributed to it. I also have a group of 5 columbian tetras that now have this. But they are 6 years old so i assumed it was due to their age.

I have never found anything that "cured" this but i dont' think the fish are really hurt by it. All mine still functioned and acted normally.

Ok so I have been in 3 days of fixing the cloudy eye, I noticed today looking in the hospital tank that the water looks more cloudy and his eye looks worse,,, I am not sure how to take this,,, I used the tablet treatment over the the fluid one due to the fact that I work out of town or am not sure when I am working and the tablet treatment seemed less work and tlc than the fluid. I guess I should keep going with it but the package says 5 day treatment/you should see results in 3 days but I am going on the 4th and it looks worse, Could it be that the cloudy eye is due to stress rather than a disease form?