Help! What In The World Is It?!?

rangergirl77

HELP!!! One of juvenile uaru's looks like this today?!?! WTH is it? I have NEVER seen this in all my fish keeping years! It is acting normal & eating still...but I think I should euthanize it?! :,(

Out of my group of 3 juvies...this one is 1/2 the size of the others?! (stunted?)

How can I humanly kill it? Freeze it?

Edited by rangergirl77

If it's acting normally and eating, I don't think you need to rush to euthanize it. If I was in your position I would at least wait for some definitive signs of suffering before putting it down. I've seen this happen in bettas that are kept in groups (really not the best decision one can make if you want to keep your fish alive), they seem to have a thing for going for the area around the anus and ovipositor. Typically the fish dies shortly after but I have heard of them surviving.

The best methods of euthanasia that are readily available are clove oil, ice-shock (NOT freezing, freezing is slow and inhumane), and physically destroying the nervous system (garbage disposal unit, there's evidence that the fish can remain conscious for minutes after the head is separated from the body and pithing is really only humane and effective if you know you can hit the right spot).

Edited by MattsBettas