Snails In The Piranha Tank

Mandingo

I have a 70 gal with 5 smallish red belly pirhanas in it. I added some live plants and now have an infestation of these black pond snails. I've tried assassin snails, but they can't seem to keep up. I have other algae eating snails in the tank too.Any ideas any ideas to get rid of the pond snails?

Not sure if they are compatible with your piranha but I've always used catfish to cleanup the snails.

Currently I have 6 petricolas and 6 upside down catfish in my 120g planted tank. They do a really good job of eating the snails.

Or I've heard copper treatments kill them quickly

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello. I have a fully planted tank and one of the ways I deal with snails is I put a glass jar in the bottom of the tank with an algae wafer or two in it in the evening and pull it out full of snails the next day. Supposedly there's something about it being clear glass that tricks the snail into not being able to escape. Since you seem to want to keep your other snails alive you could just sort through the jar the next day and throw back the good snails.

Good luck.

• 5 weeks later...

I've tried quite a few differwnt things. Loaches, puffers, lettuce. Doesnt seem to work. I've only haad sucsess by picking them out of the tank one at a time and by destroying the egg clusters. Gotta keep on it tho.

As far as other fish with red bellies, i've had limited sucsess with keeping my pirhanas with small tetras and with green tiger barbs. The trick is that the pirhanas need to stay well fed. I have one white skirt tetra that has been with my pirhanas for 3ish years now

• 2 weeks later...

As far as other fish with red bellies, i've had limited sucsess with keeping my pirhanas with small tetras and with green tiger barbs. The trick is that the pirhanas need to stay well fed. I have one white skirt tetra that has been with my pirhanas for 3ish years now

Wow I kept three red bellies in a 30 g years ago and if it moved in their tank they ripped the fins off it and left it live to eat later. A process they often do the wild; leave immobilized prey alive and the school follows as it floats downstream. Didn't matter what went in fish, baby mice, if it moved they ripped the appendages off. Of course all they ever got was weekly feedings.