Getting Started!

GalenGrey

I just got started on my newest tank, a 20 gallon. So far there's just Crypto undalata and Pogostemon helferi. They were impulse buys that I've never had before and didn't look up beforehand so I have no idea how it's going to go (lucky they were cheap!).

Anyone want to throw around some suggestions/ideas for where to take this one? :)

post-6490-0-92217000-1397881364_thumb.jpg

post-6490-0-61810600-1397881402_thumb.jpg

I'm hoping to slowly build the driftwood up into a craggy mountain type shape with lots of hideaways for height. I was also thinking about a very tall, flowing plant either at the other end of the tank or behind the driftwood.

I love shrimp, I've got a starter colony of 15 Fire Reds in my 29 gallon. It's not a terrible idea it work on a nice place for some more in this one. I was hoping to keep it more peaceful because my other tanks are fairly active. I'll have to think on what type of shrimp I want to try out in there.

I've had bad luck with sand, for some reason I get terrible root rot whenever I use it, is there a way to fix that? I've tried mixing it with regular pebbles as well but it hasn't worked yet!

I took the shrimp advice and moved all of my shrimp from my 29 to the new 20. Also took the opportunity to do a real good clean and rearrange on the 29. Still going the plant route for the 20 eventually. Turns out the shrimp are very happy about their new home- eggs, eggs everywhere.

post-6490-0-61771200-1398027242_thumb.jpg

Looking good, if for some reason you happen to pop into the city and have time for a short detour on the way home (time to go to starbucks not included or necessary haha). Let me know and I can supply you with cuttings to load up both tanks with plants. Everything is grown submersed so die back should be minimal.

To keep your sand clean, pick up some Malaysian Trumpet Snails. They burrow in the sand all day, and come out and clean the tank at night.