Breeding Discus

Reytube

Hello. How long does it take to cycle a discus breeding tank? I have 20 gal, sponge filter and pvc and heater. Im doing bare bottom tank. Im using ro water with mix of bee shrimp mineral gh+. When i tested this morning my water reading seems fine. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, pH 6.4, gh 6 and kh 1

I just setup this tank yesterday.

You need to add a source of ammonia to start the cycle - a bottle of pure ammonia being the ideal source. If you do a search for fishless cycle you should find plenty of info on how to do it right.

If you have an established tank to put that sponge in for a couple weeks, it'll be a lot better than using a new one with no established biology colony.

Do you have a cycled tank running right now?

If you do fill up the new tank with treated water, fire up the sponge filter and squish all the crud out of your existing filter in the new tanks water. Squish it real good. Let it pickle and bubble overnight. Vacuum the stuff off the bottom of the new tank. Viola. Cycled.