Project Guppy: Advice Needed Please

Horsetuna

Ok, so I've had fish tanks for years (minus the last five), and I decided to get back into guppies with the arrival of a new 35 gallon with all the fixins. I will be of course, having the usual cleaner fish as well as several gallons of extra water in the tank, but...

Well, I love breeding guppies. They're so cute and fun. But I dont want to breed just to do that. I guess what I want is a Goal. Money? Not interested in making a profit really - guppies are pretty plentiful

Is there something like Guppy shows? Fish shows or some sort of goal to be a 'professional guppy breeder', or should I perhaps find some sort of goal of my own and try to breed guppies to resemble what I want them to look like?

What resources can I find? Beyond the basics obviously. I'm a pretty well seasoned fishkeeper.

ETA Whoops, maybe this should have gone in the Breeder forum? >.>

Edited by Horsetuna

Since the new import laws, good guppies are really hard to come by. There are some breeders in Canada but charge a hefty price. The best place to connect with guppy people would be the Calgary Aquarium Society. It meets next Tuesday. They have an all species show every two years and a monthly species jar show.

I've been raiding guppies for close too 25 yrs now. I know what you are going through. Yes there is quite a few serious breeders out there, but as for a species specific club, None whatsoever in Canada that are currently regularly meeting. While elsewhere in the world there are plenty. I belong to a few different groups. The IFGA is a really good one, the cheepspeak guppy club is quite good as well. I also belong to groups in Thailand, Brazil, Taipong, etc. It is great seeing all the differences between countries, as well as alot of the similarities.

There is a Breeder in Ontario who carries quite a few pure breed varieties for around 65$ per trio, as well as a few local breeders. Here in Edmonton I was able to find and purchase, Black Moscows, Sky Blue's, Green Grass, and Purple Grass breeds. So while I try to keep up their genetic purity, I am also working on my own lines or coloring, I have two im currently working on, A type of Orange/Blue who shows hints of Pink, which I am trying to lock down into a full Pink variety. As well as a couple snakeskins who go from Orange on top, to a nice yellow on the bottom.

So I guess to answer your question, I would suggest trying like I am, finding a guppy in which you enjoy its coloring, or finnage and working on that to improve on it. There are tones of beautiful guppy designs. Find, and make your own pure line, But, to do so, you have to separate males from females diligently, to prevent breeding between unwanted mates. which can take many tanks to do right, Especially when dealing with many different breeds as I, and others do. When working with only a single group the process Is alot smoother. Some of my friends in other countries, have 100+ tanks or acer's of land to work with..

I do however miss my old guppy days where I just had them breed as they would in the wild, many colors, many types. and just sit back and see the beauty in each generation of matured fry. But the pride in seeing your specific bred guppies pass on the exact traits in which you wanted the fry to carry keeps me selective breeding...

Hope I helped a little, good luck eh. and btw, if your just interested in seeing beautiful guppies from around the world, Join Guppyplace on Facebook. Members like Joe Putta, Dede Law, Chan Alum, and others would be happy to share information and pictures of their beautiful guppies with you.

You just missed Riverfront's 2 for 1 day. He has blue or black moscows and some albino reds that are to die for. Also I've been meaing to distract the guys at Golds while I slip a pair of the red guppies he has, into my (empty) coffee mug. Riverfront also has red or yellow endlers for a really good price too. Both of these stores keep their color varieties together so you get pairs and don't just have to guess. The aquarium club is also a great way to get some nice fish and meet some fellow breeders. The Mr.fishclubgirl brings in some pretty cool fish and then hoards them(not like I hoard my bettas or anything...)