Like To Start.

Labman

So, after my 10+ years hiatus from all things aquaria, I'm amazed at the options available now.

I think the Shrimp that I've viewed on the forum, are amazing to behold, how difficult will it be to start my own collection, can they be placed in a community tank, do they breed, what's the best feed?

Sorry, I'll be posting lots of ??? on all the topics, big re-learning curve ahead of me, it seems!

Most people who are actively keeping shrimp do so in a species only tank. Almost anyfish will find shrimp a tasty treat. As for breeding, depending on the type, they breed readily, although, in a community tank, odds are no shrimplets will survive predation. I keep my shrimp in a highly planted 10G with a betta - he is the best fed betta in the world, as he picks off the occasional shrimplet. Personally, a small 10G shrimp and plant tank can be very nice, in addition to your community tank.

All of that is up to you. My shrimp tank has natural coloured aquarium gravel, drift wood, wisteria, moss, corkscrew vals and an amazon sword I constantly trim because it's too big for my tank :)

I love sand substrate, but always had an issue getting plants to root - others don't have that problem. Some people use kitty litter, clay, dirt...etc. it's all a matter of choice.

I have the Fluval Ebi...and I've been keeping/breeding Crystal Black/Red, Golden Bee, Rili and Orange shrimp in it! It's the perfect little size. no fish in with my shrimp 'cause they're so much nicer looking without predators in the mix. :)

Well, I wish I had had that info, before, I set up my 50gal,LOL

I'm not sure what TDS is even, but, if you're warning me about it, it can't have been good! LOL

I used 3" of play sand and about 1.5" of roofing gravel in the darn thing.

However, I filled the 10 gallon that I picked up at Petsmart with about 3" of red aquarium rocks that I found with all my old, some of it over 20 years old, equipement in rubber mades in my basement.

I got a couple gallons of filter water from my friend, Casagrande, for the 50gal., and had Petsmart give me a large bag of their water for the 10gal. I also put The recommended dose of Nutrafin "Cycle" in both tanks today. I have 2 Aqua Clear 70.s and a 50 on the 50gal tank, it is still very cloudy from the playsand, the 10 gal., I have 2 DIY Sponge filters.

Both tanks have now hit ideal temps.

Also, the beneficial bacteria doesn't live in the water, it lives in filters (mostly) and other areas of the tank substrate decor...etc. you'll still need to properly cycle the tank (either with fish or fishless, your choice), or you'll end up with ammonia spikes and killing your new finned friends. Just thought i'd point that out, I assume you were using the old water thinking it would set you up to start adding your fish?

If you do regular water changes, you won't notice the increase in TDS. A lot of these shrimp guys just do top-ups with RO water, so if anything in the tank is raising the TDS, you'll get a reading; however, with regular WCs, you'll be removing a lot of the accumulated solids. When doing WCs with RO water, I'm able to lower TDS from 250 or so down below 100, and not see any real change in TDS over the course of a week. All of my tanks have Play Sand.

Also, the beneficial bacteria doesn't live in the water, it lives in filters (mostly) and other areas of the tank substrate decor...etc. you'll still need to properly cycle the tank (either with fish or fishless, your choice), or you'll end up with ammonia spikes and killing your new finned friends. Just thought i'd point that out, I assume you were using the old water thinking it would set you up to start adding your fish?

Well, old school, that's how we jump started our tanks, but like I stated, I also added Cycle. tanks will be ready for feeder fish shortly.

If you do regular water changes, you won't notice the increase in TDS. A lot of these shrimp guys just do top-ups with RO water, so if anything in the tank is raising the TDS, you'll get a reading; however, with regular WCs, you'll be removing a lot of the accumulated solids. When doing WCs with RO water, I'm able to lower TDS from 250 or so down below 100, and not see any real change in TDS over the course of a week. All of my tanks have Play Sand.

No R.O. water, I'm on a well, it is very soft, I'll run tests on it in 2-3 more days, checking PH and GH.

The filters are doing a bang up job, so far, water is clearing nicely.

Okay, now I'm really confused!

I was in town, edmonton, when I see this fish store just north of the Yellowhead on 50th. Long story short, the guy in there tells me that I need a SALT water tank to raise the shrimp????

He did have some nice ones, $19.99 up to $24.99, his prices for other stuff, is waaaaay out of line though.