Sponge Filters

Jaykit

I'm going to be setting up my 55 gallon tank as a grow out tank for all the fry that keep showing up in my tanks and I'd like to get some sponge filters.

1. Should I get 1 large one or 2 smaller ones?

2. Where did you get yours from?

3. How long do they take to 'culture' if I dump in some leftovers from my other tank filters?

I agree with syno321 go with a mattenfilter. You can get Poret foam from AngelFins, one of the sponsors for AA

Did a little reading up on the mattenfilter. Looks like I can go with a 20" x 7.5" size mat if I go with a corner style(5" radius). For anyone else looking to try this, I found a really good post on the mattenfilters here: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?79104-Hamburger-Mattenfilter-HMF

What are the opinions on powerhead vs airlift?

I'm leaning towards the powerhead myself as according to the calculations I need around 450 L/HR turnover to make this thing function properly and I'm not sure the airlift would be able to achieve that or have the force to push the water all the way to the other side of the tank. Based on this, I was thinking about getting a powerhead around 600 L/HR.

I run both powered and air-driven and like both. I have one tank that has an air-driven mattenfilter at each end, a way to get enough flow for a 4' tank. Other 4'+ tanks are powered (powerhead, canister or pump).

My preference is to cover the entire end, as I find it a lot easier to DIY for a tight fit - just cut it and shove it in.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep. AngelFins and Spencer Jack both carry full sheets. I think AngelFins may carry cut pieces as well

Yes, angelfins carries precut or full sheets, kits include the lifter as well. Sizes if I recall are 5/10/20 and maybe 30g sizes. It's cut large to fit any 20G for example.

Otherwise, I agree with everyone on the mattenfilters. Once setup they work very well, can handle large bio loads without issue. I did try

the DIY lifter method and found the commercial ones much more effective, so have switched all of mine over.

Presently running 20+ tanks with this setup.

5x20G

7x10G

4x5G

7x2.5G

for mechanical filtration I simply add a hob filter and move it once daily or as required.

cheers,

Tigs (Antonio)

PS depending on how many you are looking at installing, a very important item is having enough air output from your pump to make them work properly.

I've never run mine on powerheads and they work fine with air. One thing to be aware of is there is such a thing as too much water flow. The bacteria in the filter need contact time with the waste products like ammonia to process them, and too rapid a flow can hinder the efficiency of the bacteria colony.