Ich Breakout

zoopkamol

Just had another ich breakout second one in last 9 months....

saw my newest clown loach swim by with few white spots on him so i started treatment

temp raising slowly to 86 or so

added some salt

have Rid-Ich plus but read dont add if raising temps as this also decreases O2 levels.

as i was adjusting temp of heater i found my first casulity ...my largest clown floating under a chunk of driftwood....not happy at all

should i add rid-ich? @1/2 dosage?

tank is an 180 gal w/sump ...so large volume of water that needs treating

after i beat this and i will beat this. need to up my clown loach numbers yet again... down to 3 now a 6" , 4", and a 3" left.

me and clowns dont have best record. feel bad for my 6" now as they were best buddies

added a couple new fish a week ago ..after a 2 week quarantine tank stay.

i take all precautions so i dont get outbreaks ...but still here i am battling ich.

gonna read up a bit on uv sterilizers if reasonable price i will go get one...hate losing my fish.

sorry for the casualty might I suggest bumping up your quarantine to a month and be proactive with the Ich treatments.Most fish I acquire are quarantined for a minimum of 30 days in this time I usually deworm with Levamisole twice and run a full course treatment with Seachem Paraguard.While Paraguard maybe on the expensive side I have found it to be gentle on critters and will probably be cheaper than a UV system.I have had great success with this method and have seen no out breaks of any sort since I started using it.

I always keep a close eye on the new arrivals at the beginning of the treatments and prepared to do a quick water change if fish show any signs of stress.

Found an submersible uv sterilizer with built in pump for up too 280gal tank $100. Thinking on just getting it...as cost for a larger clown costing 50-60 so for 100 bucks I can prevent losing another clown...worth every cent. I Will up quarantine time too a month and look into treatment you do..as sounds likable a good plan

Clown loaches are quite susceptible to ich unfortunately.. You might want to keep using salt as a preventative.

Ya I know clowns and ich go hand in hand. Just found second loach dead from ich. Poor little guy had 12 or so white spots on him.... I check fish at least twice a day make sure everything looks ok... didn't see this coming until too late. Big loach seems sad now as he looks for his bestie.

Update.

temp 85-86

Salted and added very small dosage of rid-ich

I hate ich. .. All my loaches died except my 6". No spots on him that I see.

Uv sterilizer be here on Friday. Will help me with breakout and hopefully I will never see it again.

Gonna get more loaches once ich is gone. .can't keep a single one..he needs buddies.

3 QT tanks now setup. Various sizes 15, 20, 30 for multiple fish buy at same time.

Might toss some smaller fish I QT to keep sponge filter going or just toss rinsed filter in sumps to maintain bacteria.

I will not loss another fish to ich after this battle.