Moss

Iceturf

From everything I have read, it says attach it to wood or rock. So I am assuming it will adhere to those substances over time.

I have some willow moss and that doesn't seem to attach even though it says it will attach to wood or rock. Got it on both for over a month and it has yet to attach. I just removed it from the rock because I had to move a few things and it just floated right off.

I had mine attached with thread, all other mosses seem to stick but the willow moss doesn't seem to. I had it tied down to a rock for over a month and that is the one I just unthreaded and it floated off.

My Fissidens fontanus, weeping moss, and java moss attaches really well. I am still waiting to see if round pellia sticks to things.

I heard of a mini pellia or something attaching, but can't find anything to confirm that. I'm thinking of building a fixture for a little ADA tank I've got sitting around, and throwing some moss in. I'm looking for something like a moss that will nicely handle itself. Ebay seems to be a good source for cheap moss from foreign places. I might take a chance and order a few different mosses in.

I'm not sure the difference between pellia, round pellia and mini pellia. I had pellia once, it died out, then it grew entirely back from a little tiny shard the size of a paperclip. never actually attached to anything though.

I've had mixed luck with fissidens. Its supposed to be a hardy plant not needing fancy upkeep, but I found it really only spread when I fertilize, and now I'm out.

Edited by Iceturf

I have mini pellia (riccardia chamedryfolia or coral moss) and it attaches but it takes a bit. It seems to grow better in higher light. I have it on several levels of rocks and the lower levels are growing slower. The lower level ones seem to be getting a bit of bba on it.

It doesn't do well with excel though. I tried to spot treat it with a lower dose and that part turned black in a few days. I tried a diluted solution of peroxide and had the same issue. Both of those treatments work fine with fissidens and other mosses with no damage to the moss.

coral moss is very slow growing.

Why even get the moss to attach itself? Attach it yourself and you'll get a better end product.

I agree. If you're having a hard time getting moss started with thread or elastic, use crazy glue (in fact, use it first!). You get a more natural look right off the bat, and can get mosses that 'aren't supposed to stick' to work.

I first learned about using crazy glue in the aquarium from reef tank keepers, who are crazy strict about water quality; so, I figured if it doesn't kill corals, it'll be fine for plants! :)