Got A New Loach..very "friendly"

fishclubgirl

So in one of my kiijiji purchases, I found a loach that needed new home. Got to pick him up and he's in a bucket on the lawn. The lady says he's very friendly.. I have a tank that I put my "rescues" in that also includes 6 lace synodontis that I got because they were 4 dollars and small and cute. Now 2 years later, they're no longer small. (or cute) . So I'm checking on the loach tonight and him and the large female syno are squabbling.. Yelling at him isn't working...Anybody have any thoughts...

Why not give your loach something to play with? Like a Yo-Yo.

Or another loach?

I have had a very friendly clown loach now for several years. Sort of a fish room mascot ... they say they don't do well by themselves. He is fine in just about all my tanks as long as the other fish ...Rainbows, Cory's, pleco's etc. accept his friendliness. However my S. Petricolas will have nothing to do with him. The more he try's to be friends with them the more the petro's fight back at him. Tried putting them together many times with no success. They almost killed him once.

Edited by Rainbowric

Why not give your loach something to play with? Like a Yo-Yo.

Or another loach?

I have had a very friendly clown loach now for several years. Sort of a fish room mascot ... they say they don't do well by themselves. He is fine in just about all my tanks as long as the other fish ...Rainbows, Cory's, pleco's etc. accept his friendliness. However my S. Petricolas will have nothing to do with him. The more he try's to be friends with them the more the petro's fight back at him. Tried putting them together many times with no success. They almost killed him once.

So in one of my kiijiji purchases, I found a loach that needed new home. Got to pick him up and he's in a bucket on the lawn. The lady says he's very friendly.. I have a tank that I put my "rescues" in that also includes 6 lace synodontis that I got because they were 4 dollars and small and cute. Now 2 years later, they're no longer small. (or cute) . So I'm checking on the loach tonight and him and the large female syno are squabbling.. Yelling at him isn't working...Anybody have any thoughts...

I think one of the main reasons for the conflict between the loach and Synos is that they both LOVE the same food... SNAILS! There's only so much room in a tank for bottom dwellers with a taste for escargot. :)

I have mature S. Petricolas and yoyo/clown loaches together without issues in my 450g, and previously in my 180g as well. They hang out together in the same areas all the time but don't interact.

Some species of loaches are extremely aggressive, as are some synodontis species especially once larger and mature. It could just be an issue of not enough tank space for the bottom dwellers to co-exist. How big is the tank?I would be curious to hear what species of loach it is too. Skunk loaches, tiger loaches, blue loaches, etc. are all quite mean. Maybe take a picture if you're not sure. http://www.loaches.com/ is a good resource for most loaches as well.

Edited by Psylant

Thanks everyone for the suggestions??? The yelling seemed to have worked(or perhaps the brine shrimp pellets...) and he has found a nice home in a plant pot at one end and the synnis have the other end. I think he just wanted to fit in and make friends but the synnis weren't having it....Now to find a yoyo that sinks for him. Thanks for the website link but he is still unidentified..