Custom Tanks

Frogfish

So my cheap 10gallon shrimp tank sprung a leak that I had to fix right away, options were buy the same garbage again or change to a different size of tank. Well changing the size was a problem due to the fact that I just invested in equipment specifically for the dimensions of the original tank. Then I thought why not try custom, I called concept aquarium here in Calgary and I was really surprised that the cost was very reasonable. In the end I ordered a 20x14x14 tank because my cabinet would allow for the extra two inches of width. $15crap vs. $100ADA smaller tank vs. $35 custom tank with 5mil glass and of course an extra 6.9 gallons! Of course I decided to upgrade to starfire glass front, black silicone and black vinyl background installed for an additional $15.

I was thoroughly impressed with the service at Concept Aquarium and would highly recommend it to any hobbyists out there. They had the tank ready to go the next day! You get what you pay for and honestly the difference in cost is far outweighed by the quality of the product.

post-6497-0-49968900-1408219164_thumb.jpg

Edited by Frogfish

I bought my 230G, stand and sump there and was thoroughly impressed with their customer service, prices and speedy completion of the tank! I would absolutely recommend them to anyone looking to get their first tank or upgrade to a bigger/better tank :)

Nice tank and glad to hear Concept still sells nice tanks.

The only gripe I have with the custom tanks is the big heavy bracing all the local suppliers seem to use, I find it really takes away from what could be an even nicer looking tank.

The only gripe I have with the custom tanks is the big heavy bracing all the local suppliers seem to use, I find it really takes away from what could be an even nicer looking tank.

I think it depends on the size of the tank and thickness of glass you want. You could always go with a one piece eurobrace that looks awesome but will increase tank cost by 40%.

Edited by Ron

I think it depends on the size of the tank and thickness of glass you want. You could always go with a one piece eurobrace that looks awesome but will increase tank cost by 40%.

Do you know much more a standard (non one-piece but still glass) eurobrace is? I am guessing it cost 40% because they have cut if from a single piece of glass that is the entire footprint of the tank. imagine if would be much cheaper to use 4 pieces of glass to do the eurobrace (although not as nice)

Setting up a new rack with standard 15gal-ish sized tanks and debating if I want rimless w/ eurobrace (non-one piece) to prevent splashing and shrimps going for walks.. lol

I don't think multi piece float glass euro braces are very expensive. Mine was expensive because it was one piece, Starphire glass and polished edges. If you are planning for a bunch of custom tanks, have them designed and quoted now and buy them on Boxing Day when custom tanks are 20% off.

Edited by Ron

I messed up on my order because it was kind of done in a rush, they would have made it rimless and polished the top edges had I specified that. Either way I am happy with the results and so are the shrimp. Really it was just a ploy to cleanse the old tank of clown puke