Auto Water Change With Overflow System

Overboard

Nice.. but i do enjoy the maintenance on my tanks. Keeps me out of trouble and other jobs around house and my better half always knows where i am every sat or Sunday. I got 4 larger tanks that require a lot of attention 180 135 90 75 plus 4 smaller tanks. Still very nice setup there.

I'd love to see how your water bill is after a few months! I've always wanted to do a drip system. How do you plan to tell when your carbon block needs replacing - just replace it at regular intervals or test your water every week? I'd think you'd want to make sure it was removing everything with a discus tank, eh?

Nice.. but i do enjoy the maintenance on my tanks. Keeps me out of trouble and other jobs around house and my better half always knows where i am every sat or Sunday. I got 4 larger tanks that require a lot of attention 180 135 90 75 plus 4 smaller tanks. Still very nice setup there.

Thanks zoopkamol,The main reason was when I go on holidays I only have to find someone to feed them every second day and not worry about water changes. Plus having the Discus I changed 60 gallons a week.

I'd love to see how your water bill is after a few months! I've always wanted to do a drip system. How do you plan to tell when your carbon block needs replacing - just replace it at regular intervals or test your water every week? I'd think you'd want to make sure it was removing everything with a discus tank, eh?

Thank god water is cheap. The supplier said the filter would last a year for normal house hold use, drinking and so on. We calculated that I would use around 2/3 of the water. After 12 months I checked the chlorine every week. After 15 months there was no chlorine but I decided it was time to change the filter. Better safe than sorry. The filter cost around $28.00.

I don't think you need to have a chlorine filter on that system. If your water was being treated with chloramine you would though -- it doesn't evaporate. If you let the water drip/splash into the tank most of the chlorine would dissipate almost immediately. Plus, the very small amounts of water changed via drip wouldn't leave me worrying at all. I would suggest a filter if you were worried about heavy metals, etc. though.

I don't think you need to have a chlorine filter on that system. If your water was being treated with chloramine you would though -- it doesn't evaporate. If you let the water drip/splash into the tank most of the chlorine would dissipate almost immediately. Plus, the very small amounts of water changed via drip wouldn't leave me worrying at all. I would suggest a filter if you were worried about heavy metals, etc. though.

Edmonton's tap water is treated with chloramine - filter is definitely required

Edmonton's tap water is treated with chloramine - filter is definitely required

I had no idea. Good to know :)

• 5 months later...

I recently did this. I added in a filter system in my basement ran a drip line to my tank on the main floor of my house and an overflow to the basement floor drain. I can say it was the best thing I ever did. As for water I change 100 gallons a week this way and I think it ended up being less then $100 a year based on my cities water prices.

If your doing weekly water changes any ways the costs of water will be the same with a drip that does it for you.