"german Red Shoulder Peacock"? Ever Heard Of It?

jvision

So, I didn't really want to venture into the realm of Aulonocara, but at $2/6 at this weekend's ACE Auction, I figured I couldn't go wrong....

I picked up a bag of what was labeled as German Red Shoulder Peacock. Now I've never been a peacock guy, but I've never heard of that name before - I know of German Red and Red Shoulder, but not This combo name. Also, I thought the juvies should be grey, like most juvies/female peacocks. Nope, these are yellow. Here's a pic:output_zpsxe762j3h.jpg

Could this be a cross between a German Red and a Red Shoulder (is seller 275 a member if AA?)? They're both A. stuartgranti (tho one is from Chipoka, the other from Chinuni), so I'm not concerned about them being "hybrids", but it'd be great to know what they are. I know that IDing JUVIE peacocks is a crap shoot, if anyone could give some insight, that'd be great

That's just a fancy name for a "red shoulder" peacock. Like the fact that the lines origin is German makes it uber special. :)

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1389

Problem is, that's not what a normal juvenile should look like like. So unless this is some type of leucistic strain, I'd say that you didn't get what was labelled on the bag.

I'll look up on the Club list who the seller is and maybe see if I can take a peek at the breeding stock some time. Does anyone know off-hand if this is a normal juvie coloration of another strain (ie. Strawberry - there were a tonne of those at this auction!).

Thats a cross maybe?iam thinking that red shoulder x german red too

That juvie is typical of the orange / yellow variants of Peacocks... Strawberry / Sunburst / Blood dragon etc

That could very well be it, I'm not very familar with juvenile hybrid Aulonocara but it does look like one of those made in Asia hybrids.

Jason I have a bag of them as well. There was bag of fish from the same person that I bought because they were being sold as blue dolphins. but when the runner came with bag it was quite apparent that they were not blue dolphins. Didn't have the body shape or the colour. So not sure what we got with the german red shoulders.......interesting.

Edited by sicklid

Jason I have a bag of them as well. There was bag of fish from the same person that I bought because they were being sold as blue dolphins. but when the runner came with bag it was quite apparent that they were not blue dolphins. Didn't have the body shape or the colour. So not sure what we got with the german red shoulders.......interesting.

Somebody has to talk to that clown that brought those to auction... and did that , the blue dolphin thing was hilarious when they brought them to you.... at least the AA guys made things right for you.

• 2 months later...

Here they are now. I'm not sure if the color diff is sexual dimorphism or not - I moved a 'pair' from the sump up to the main tank, but both of them are getting a lot of egg spots on the ventral. I'm not good at venting small fish, either. Any guess as to what these fish are?

output_zpssbschpzk.jpg

Yeah... I'm questioning the validity of every cichlid I bought this last time. That'll learn me for taking a chance on a "great deal" at the auction. This last auction had some "real Gems"! I'm sure that's why so many bags were being blown out for $1-2, everyone knew that most of the labels were just guesses at best.