Where's The Best Price For Custom Tank?

mrsella

I only know of three in Alberta that do custom tanks - aquarium illusions, bow valley aquariums, and concepts. I have had tanks done by all. In my own experience, it really depends what you want. I have a 340 gallon - all low iron starfire tank (3/4 inch) and the quality is top notch - done by Aquarium Illusions. Excellent quality but you pay dearly for a unique piece....and in my mind, worth it. Concept is the pretty much the same.

If you are looking for a simple 90 or 120 gallon tank - 1/2 inch and nothing other than euro braced, best pricing is bow valley, then concept, then AI. I just had 10 tanks built two months ago.

The big difference is down payment and what they view as a defect & post purchase follow-up. It happens in the business and how they handle it - may be a deciding factor for you. If you search the threads, you will see people who had a problem tank - pm them to see what they thought of the follow up.

In short, they are all good but make sure you know exactly waht you are getting and what the terms are...as the policies tend to protect them more than you. And I don't say that in a mean way - that's just the facts (and I would do the same if I made tanks).

I've only had Concept do custom for me before. I was looking for 4 similar custom sized tanks, no bells and whistles. They were quick, the quality is good and so far they are reliable tanks. I happened to be doing a trip down south so I was able to pickup the product but I think they do monthly deliveries to Edmonton. I've had Aquarium Illusions quote a few different bigger tanks for me. I can't get past the price unfortunately even though I know their quality is top notch. I'm sure everyone is the same for the top notch aquariums so I'm not really trying to single anyone out, just giving my limited experience. Is the tank going to be a showpiece? Is it for your personal use where you're the only one to see it? What are your standards? You can really get out of hand with all of the options that are available to you.

If you have to have the top of the top, you'll pay for it and you can get it locally from Aquarium Illusions. I'm not sure but Neil (Edmonton) was doing custom tanks but I haven't been in contact with him in years. They can get stands made for you (steel or wood) and skirting for the steel is that is the direction you go. Sorry for the non-answer but its very case specific based on expectations and budget.

I have a large tank made by Bow Valley Aquatics. I was not the original owner of it. It's very, very solid, and incredibly overbuilt. It's not a high end built tank, (not polished, regular glass, etc.) but it's plenty nice enough for me. I would get a low iron glass in the future though if it were up to me -- particularly on 1/2" or thicker glass. They seem to be the cheapest custom tank out there, but there are other costs... haha. PM if you need to know more.

Thanks for your replies. I heard about Neil, and he's got a pretty good reputation. I'm waiting for a quote from aquarium illusions, so I guess we'll see what the start up point is. It is going to be a show piece, so it has to look good. If anyone has anymore information please let me know. Where is Concept located and phone number? I haven't heard about them before.

Concept Aquariums is in Calgary. I believe they make regular trips up to Edmonton so delivery shouldn't be a problem. Their phone number is (403) 230-7831.

What are you looking for? If you need overflows, acrylic work and eurobracing, I would definitely get a custom one made. If you want an awesome aquarium with second to none silicone, get an ADA Cube Garden.

Edited by Ron

I wouldn't shop based on price too much. Good work to a certain extent is worth the extra little bit.

Heck I'll build you a cheap tank, but I hope you have good insurance....so how big you want it? I'll keep it +\- 3 cm for oops factor. You wanting things square? Cause that'll slow things up quite a bit.....

:-)

Edited by Jayba

I wouldn't shop based on price too much. Good work to a certain extent is worth the extra little bit.

Heck I'll build you a cheap tank, but I hope you have good insurance....so how big you want it? I'll keep it +\- 3 cm for oops factor. Areally you wanting things square? Cause that'll slow things up quite a bit.....

:-)

Good point Jaybs!!

Concept built me a 540g on time and exactly as quoted and it's been going strong for 4yra now with no issues whatsoever! They delivered it and we used 12 guys onsite to put it in the school. 8ft x 3ft x 3ft were the dimensions. With eurobeace design. Just getting them to build my 3 Cory tanks all stackable above each other like Vince's system (thanks for the tour Vince)

• 3 months later...