Rescaping The 55 Gallon

candi

Hey there all,

So, I think my 55 needs a face lift. Its the main focal point in the room as soon as you walk into the house. All the plants there have matured and doubled and some of the stock has changed. There is something off about the scape and I can't quite put my finger on it..... So, time for a change. Currently there is crypts, dwarf sag, vals, water lettuce and my favorite, the red lotus. I'm a fan of the wood in there, interesting shaped pieces. I like the idea of the slate but I think it needs some adjustments or reshaping because I don't think it quite matches the 'feel' of the tank. (The background is changing as well, it's going black)

I was thinking of moving the lotus to the front, just off center to show it off. The vals I will probably move the whole bunch off to one back side because they spread so fast and grow quite tall. The crypts don't quite grow as tall as I thought they would, so I'll prolly have to keep them mid-ground also somewhere. The sag I can plunk out in front and fill some gaps. Running 2 canister filters as well, so uptake tubes are an eyesore.

Here is my main goal; I was hoping to figure out a way to incorporate the slate with the wood so they kind of blend together instead of being distinctly separate as they are now. I do have a couple other smaller pieces of wood and more slate for adjustments. I think it will look to manufactured to move a piece of wood to each side of the tank, but they are also too different to place really close together.

I need to keep a couple of cave-like spaces as my pleco and shark share the slate at the moment and the other 2 plecos have each claimed the wood.

If anyone has some advice, ideas or constructive criticism that would be great. As some of you can relate, my other half doesn't share the love of the hobby so he really isn't helpful in the aquascaping process lol!

Thanks Team!

post-6446-0-66250200-1420581969_thumb.jpg

You could lay the slate on its side and lean a piece of wood on it and have a crypt growing through a gap and attach moss to the now vertical slate surface or on the wood somewhere. Not sure if the slate is glued or not but you could make it look like a ruin to give it some character and appearance of an aged/archaic look. I have no idea though it depends on your taste. Sounds like your plant placement ideas will work great. As it grows in the crypt and sag will mesh well together.

My other half doesn't have a huge interest in the hobby but she is really good at helping with layout and design. Her opinion matters because she has to look at it and her ideas often work better than mine.

Thanks for the replies guys. Percilus, you will have a jungle on your hands soon enough lol hope the beta loves them.

That's what I was kinda thinking. I wanted to build something around a group of crypts, like you suggested. Just the 3 pc top section of the structure is glued, so I have 4 good size slabs to work with. Maybe stack some on an angle out of the sand and build up around it with some wood.... good thinking. :) attached is the photo as of tonight.

Thanks guys!

post-6446-0-66957000-1420596329_thumb.jpg

Here's my concept... Move the slate piece towards the left and to the back, and stack the wood pieces on top of it or on both sides of it. I am trying to envision a mountain, (the wood pieces) and the slate piece would then look like a opening. For this to work, the wood pieces have to stick above the slate. If that can be done, then the vals can be placed behind the wood pieces (provided there is room). The crypts can then go on the sides and on the front of the slate pieces, as midground plants.. The echinodorus tennelus can be planted in a curved line , to look like a pathway leading to the opening of the mountain..

If the slate structure can be reduced in height, then I think this concept will work.. I cannot find a spot for your lotus, unfortunately...One of your wood pieces is unique, the one with the 2 holes, so that has to be visible.

• 2 years later...