Tank Ph High?

sumadis

I did a test today before doing a 15% water change Ammonium was 0, Nitirte was 0 and Nitrate was 10-20, The pH was around 7.6, my community tank consists of some angels, gouramis and red lined torpedo barbs. I know that most of these species prefer a more neutral pH of around 6.8-7.2, should I worry if it is a little high? I am going to do another test tomorrow to see if it changed after the water change. I will also check my tapwater.

Tap water in Calgary is at 7.6 I just tested it with a probe. I would just leave it if the fish seem fine. Changing the pH and keeping it constant would be a lot of work if you are using buffering products. Although if you wanted that perfect pH level you could use a pressurised CO₂ system in conjunction with a pH controller/monitor. The CO₂ would also soften the water a bit and make your plants explode with growth. In reality you should be fine with the same water everybody else in your area are keeping fish in including your local shop.

Ditto don't worry about ph

people breed Angels in Edmonton water at ph 7.8 and I have some torpedo barbs for 4 years, they have grown to 6 inches.

Edited by geleen

• 3 months later...

I'm in calgary too and my water is at 8.2 at the tap, still 8.2 in the tank I have 4 nice angels and they have eggs at least every week (still tying to get fry out of that tough) they don't seem to mind the high ph at all.

• 1 month later...

I'm in South Calgary (Glenmore Water) and my pH is 8.1-8.2 every single day, and has been for two years. From what I have read, a lot of freshwater species have huge pH shifts in their water in their natural habitat during rainy/dry seasons, and have evolved coping mechanisms to suit. I have never touched the pH in my aquariums with no noticeable losses. All the pro's I have talked to say keep the pH constant and the fish will develop enzymes that will suit it. Trouble arises when you get pH shifts so don't mess with it.

• 4 years later...