Crazy Kribs

redcherrybarb

Yesterday I bought a male and female krib, and almost immediately upon acclimation and putting them in my tank they started to exhibit spawning behaviour. They were all over the tank, the female displaying her very purple belly, and the male was following her everywhere doing a shimmy for her, his throat and underside turning Crimson. They were not aggressive towards my corys, but made sure they stayed away from the entrance of the log they claimed. Going in and out several times. This morning I seen her for about 30 seconds, and I seen him poke his head out the back of the log. They seem very cautious and a bit defensive. So are they just being coy this morning or are they in that log getting down to business?

I have successfully kept kribs before but only males, never had the opportunity to get a female where we were living.

I have a 26 gallon bow front, with an LED, running two HOB filters (cycling one for my sons tank). Temp is at 78-79F, water is a bit softer than town water, we have a softener. ph is around 7.3

She likes flakes, he eats anything. Offered them sinking pellets, flakes and shrimp.

Edited by redcherrybarb

My Kribensis did the exact same things and it turned out they were protecting the eggs laid in the cave. So that being said, I would believe she is protecting eggs for sure. They breed like flies once they pair off it seems, or at least mine did.

So I figured, at best, when I brought a random male and female home from the aquarium store that they hopefully wouldn't kill each other. I thought even if they didn't pair up that maybe they could cohabitate peacefully. I never in a million years thought I'd see her shaking her thing for him literally 5 seconds after putting them in the tank. I was gob smacked.

Do you raise the fry? I have never had fish spawn before in all the years of keeping them.

I have another question to all you in fish land. My Kribs are still doing their thing, only coming out to eat, check out the territory and do some posturing. They look fantastic, bright colours, active, hungry and have still been very actively courting. But this afternoon I noticed them flashing every so often. I was told that spawning cichlids do that sometimes to show dominance. Is that true? My heart sunk when I seen that. They seem so active and healthy.

They are the only other fish in the tank besides some very busy little Corys.

Water is all at zero, but I threw in some stress coat and prime to be on the safe side. My water is very soft. Is that a problem?

Thoughts? Suggestions? Living in Camrose where the local lfs doesn't even carry nets, it might be hard to find meds if I need them.

I have been watching for that, can't see any spots...

If I do see the dreaded spots, I have to ramp my temp to 86F because my corys cant take the meds? Will that hike in temp affect their spawning?

I did a 30% water change, vacuumed gravel and fed very lightly today. The gravel was dirty! Added an air stone in a far corner away from the nest for lots of aeration. No flashing from the fish today that I have seen, but I did stock up on aquarium salt just in case. I'm almost obsessed with checking them over when I see them out and about. I had my 13 year old son on "flash watch" today while I was busy setting up his tank. My husband is pretty sure I'm nuts.

The female has only come out all the way out a few times today to feed and she is very shy when she does. I haven't seen her in hours now.

The male comes out every half a hour or so, does a tour of chasing the corys, eats a bit. Then right back into the nest. He's eating way more than she is.

That is pretty much everything my Kribs did when they were protecting eggs in a cave. Alot of cichlids have a spawning ritual that they shimmy and twitch at each other. They are a shy fish and will be even more when the fry exit the cave area. I just ground up flake food to a powder, but they will eat and pick at almost anything. I did have a few females kill off the males but I wasnt sure if that was related to protecting the fry. I guess if it all happens like mother nature intended too, keep an eye on how she treats the male. The Kribensis are hardy little fish.

• 2 months later...

Ok gang...3 months later and I am over run with Kribensis fry lol

Every time I turn around they have a new batch of babies. I do feel fortunate tho as they are both pretty good parents and they don't fight. Very pretty little fish and very easy to keep.

Would be a great pair of fish for kids to have. Easy to keep and easy to breed. And a lot of fun to watch.