Water Change/severums Dead!

FISHLIPS

Ok this was 3 weeks ago,changed water in both tanks like usual.Hooked up python,drained 40% of tank,added prime and let it circulate,refilled it with same temp water....done this a 100 times.Severums were dead when i got back home an hr later.The second tank that was changed at the same time is perfect and the geo's are good!

The 8" pleco lived but the severums didn't,I know I should have took out a sample but didn't,usually the severums would lay or hang low each and every water change but would rise within the hr.My water tested good from our well at the fish store.5 yr old 6" severums RIP.

I run PURIGEN in both filters and it polishes nicely,our well water has a slight tinge of yellow and the Purigen does a nice job.

any thoughts?

Is there any petroleum exploration in your area? I know this is a hot button issue, but some nearby hydraulic fracturing or other exploration could have released (even in very small amounts) something into your well? The Severums may be more sensitive than the geos?

Sorry about your losses

Andrew

My first thought is dissolved gasses in the water. When adding water to a tank via hose, I always let the water splash in to help release dissolved gasses - lost a few hundred bux in plecos doing it the other way, once.

I have lost fish after water changes as well but it is usually during spring runoff when the city adds extra chemicals to the water purification process.

What I did was to reduce the amount of the water that is changed from 1/3 weekly to 10-15% every 3 days and doubled the amount of prime added for at least a month to make sure the city was back to normal levels of chemicals. This seems to work as long as I remember to do it in the spring. I called the city once and just got the run around about the amount and type of chemicals they use during this time of year. Seems to be a top secret project and the public is not entitled to be aware of what they add to our drinking water. They accept no responsibility or liability for what they do.

I know you are on well water but it could be affected by spring run off too. My mother-in-law lives in Olds and every spring the well water she uses gets an eggy smell and turns cloudy for a few weeks.

No oil exploration in my area, I guess i will get another sample tested. This is the first time i've lost any fish during a water change.Very confusing to what happened. Just nervous about losing my Proximus as I waited a yr for supplier to get them. So far they are growing very nice.

I have done a lot of water testing in the SAG-D (oilsands), and something we pay close attention to is called "gas void fraction". Were looking for gasses trapped in water to simplify it. We find all sorts of nasty stuff in water when we bring it to our atmosphere. If I was in this situation I would draw water, and leave it overnight with a airstone going. Bringing the water to your atmosphereic pressure and disturbing it should liberate any gasses that may have leached into your well. In my experience gasses trapped in water want out, you just need to help them. Not sure about adding more Prime since your not on (chlorinated / chloraminated) city water. My best guess was there was something that is toxic in super low concentrations that wreaked havoc.

Good luck with this!