Fluval 405 "popcorn" Noise

t3ch

Hi all,

I have having a big problem right now: my fluval 405 filter has stopped working. When it's plugged in it makes a popcorn noise and there is basically no water coming out of the filter. I took apart every single piece of the filter inspected that it's not broken and cleaned everything. There was the impeller cover with a broken clip which I replaced for a brand new one but no help. I can see the impeller is spinning, the gasket looks in good shape (I also tried to lubricate it with vegetable oil) and there is no apparent leak.

Any idea?

Sounds like it could be an airlock at the impeller. Try running it tilted on its side for a bit, so that all of the air is at the "OUT" side.

If the leak is small enough for just air to get in, but not big enough for water to leak out you won't know by seeing it - just by the sound.

Also impellers wear on the inside. Hole will be enlarged or misshapen. Shaft can be laid on a flat surface and should touch all the way along. There should be no slop with shaft inserted to impeller. Hope some of this helps.

So I got a new shaft because the rubber on top was missing (worst part is latter I found it on the floor at home) put everything in and now it works for about 30 secs and actually pump water out and everything then it stops and I can hear the motor ting to spin the impeller, only way to get it started again is take everything apart put it back then it does the same thing again. Any idea? i'm about to throw this filter as far as I can, I just got one of my cichlid that died pretty sure it's related to them not having filter for a full day then switching back to my HOB filter which also stop working about once a day (the fulval was replacing this filter...)

I have a fluval 406, and when I was doing research on fluval, I read somewhere that they get really hot and that the lids actually heat up and warp a bit causing them to make noise. Is it possible that yours has warped a little causing it to do this?

Do you have an extra filter for the time being? Some filtration is better than none.

It doesn't look like the issue is caused by the lid but I could be wrong. Yeah I'm using an aqua clear 70 right now but the impeller randomly stop working once every day or 2 which is why it's just a backup filter