T5 Light Hood Attempt

creekbottom

I'm slowly collecting equipment to set up a 46 bowfront tank as a planted tank.

1) If I use 2 t5ho bulbs would that be too much light? I plan on using CO2, I have a hagen glo t5 ballast system so no relfectors with the lights. Do I even need reflectors?

2) Where is a good place to get reflectors? I'm going to try the gutter DIY so they need to fit in that.

3) How do you fit a 10' section of rain gutter in a 4 door honda civic? Even with the seat down!!!

4) Has anyone come across a good DIY plan for a rain gutter canopy? My DIY ambitions are high but sometimes the forethought is lacking, and I'd like it to look nice.

Thanks!!!

The white raingutters are actually pretty good for reflecting light; however, if you want more (all?) of the light being reflected, you can pick up reflectors at any store that sells Sunblasters.

Go get the gutter before it gets cold again, you'll probably have to have the trunk up (does it go thru?), or stick it partially out a rear window... oh, us DIYers... we'll be as foolish as we need to get it done on the cheap!! :lol:

I've built quite a few plywood canopies: a simple box w. a piano hinge - make the interior at least 5" high, and you can screw the gutters right in. I like to leave a 2" overhang, so that the canopy covers the trim of the tank... I'll try to remember to take pics when I get home

Ya, I think I get about 7' from windshield to end of trunk in the car lol. That's good news about the reflectors. I couldn't find any info online about places that sell t5 reflectors in town.

I like the open top look on my tanks so I'm not building a whole plywood canopy, I was just going to have the gutters sitting on top of the tank. But things like putting vent holes in it wouldn't have occured to me.

If you're just setting them on the tank, the simply drill out holes in one end-cap for the cords. If you don't like the white color, pick one you do like from Krylon's Fusion paint line. I've painted PVC using it, and the paint holds well... even under water.

If you want really REALLY cheap reflectors, just cut up some large pop cans and line the gutters with them :D
I know it works well small scale, friend of mine did it for $5? Not sure about a larger one though...

Here, if you're curious: http://AlbertaAquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=38117&p=2269026

Edited by chlwong

• 1 month later...