Diy decor

Ayametaylor

Hey all, new to fishes and all things keeping them! But i love doing projects and i really would like to diy a costum insert for my tank. Couple of questions as again super novice here: 

When making anything for the ineeior of my tank what is the  best "faux" rock medium? I am hoping to put a costume piece into a mold and have it set so i can create a ruins center piece  for my 10gallon rectangle tank.

The costume piece i was hoping on saving some time and or effort and using a store bought model kit. But i wouldnt want it to leach any badness to my fishes. Is this possible? 

This piece would then seperate the  substrate of half sand half gravel. 

I am hoping to make the half sand section with live plants for oxygen production that are both medium and tall liners as well as putting in apartially submerged hide for my (thinking its a) dojo loach. Either by constructing one or buying one. 

-best oxygen plants that wont contrast with (mollies, shrimp, snail only one, and a loach) hoping for more of an almost forest look with out too much crowding. (And is also possibly suitable for eldars livebirths.) 

The gravel side is more for showing off the natural textures of the tank. And easier clean up on at least one side lol. 

Any ideas?  Advice? Or expertise would be awesome! 

I've seen some amazing backgrounds made from Styrofoam - the hard blue or pink seem to be the easiest to work with, but I've seen many done with the white bead-type.  Check out YouTube for some great DIY projects.

• 2 weeks later...

I already have a concept for my diy project i am just unsure how to test the type of plastic. I would like to use the model kit i have had.for a while. It is unpainted and un decorated and just begging to be turned into a ruin structor inside a tank. 

I was thinking on using natural stone as a partial background and cement to.keep the entire piece together which can then be covered in sand and gravel. 

I just need to know if its a) possible to use cement in a fishtank. B) if there is any tried and true methods to test plastics (that are cheep because i dont have alot bybway of money) to ensure they are fish safe. And C) any tips to finding some great dark grey flat stones around calgary. 

Thanks guys!

I think I have a DIY project in my Journal forum on how I did a rock background using waterfall foam.  See what I did HERE

That is pretty awesom! I have a similiar idea but using flat but tall rocks. And painting the external back side of the tank to fill in the depth issues. 

I my have also figured out how i am going to keep everything in place but not use cement. @jvision have you by chance used plexi glass or similar substitute as a tank "bottom" or used fish safe silicone  to  adhear rocks to that kind of surface with any success? 

My idea is to start gathering supplies for this come friday or saturday. ^-^ 

Best recommended fish safe silicone? 

Thanks guys!

I've built a few ponds and have learned how to stack rock w/o them falling over - even with digging cichlids. Have a stroll through my threads (not all of my aquascapes are in the journal forum) - I don't glue rocks together in any of them. I only used the foam in the link above because I knew I didn't have enough space to stack them properly. If you're looking to protect your bottom panel, a piece of eggcrate will do.

I saw that tank, it's stunning by the way. 

I was more asking because i was hoping to adhere my 'scape' pieces to a piece of plexi glass or similar materiel, and then add my plant substrate and then layer my sand and gravel on top to not only keep everything down thus solving my weight issue with certain pieces but also eliminating the problem of concrete possibly leeching into the tank... this would also stop from adding additional weight (Significantly less then what would have been) to the tank to help keep the whole thing stable.

I was just wondering if you have any experience in that sort of thing.

If not, does anyone on here possibly have that experience?  

The Waterfall foam does a pretty good job of holding stuff together, as long as it's not too heavy.  Pick it up at landscape suppliers - it's the same as the expanding foam for window and door frames, except it's low-yield expansion and black.