Real Rock Background

jvision

I was half way into the project before I realized that people might want to see how I did this, so I just pulled out my phone and shot a few pics as I went.

I first started by laying down a layer of foam, right on the bottom glass, so the rocks won't shift when the fish dig.

Here's the foam I use (I build ponds in the summer, so this is the contractor foam - it's all black)

Photo_011309_003.jpg

I built up the rocks. The trick is to stack them in a way that they don't naturally want to topple - a trick I use when building walls for ponds. Now, in this small space (it's just a 25gal tank), I did have to use the foam to create a cussion to even things out between the rock levels. The foam does act a bit like an adhesive, but it can't be the only thing holding the rocks against the back wall... gravity will win eventually.

Photo_011309_001.jpg

Photo_011309_004.jpg

Here's the finished product. The tank is going to be home to some L. brevis and grow out some N. leleupi. The leleupi will love exploring the wall, as I've created some caves and gaps between rocks.

Photo_011309_005.jpg

The only drawback to doing this is that the tank is now really heavy - it weighs about 100lbs and that's without water!

It probably weighs about 250lbs... so not really much more than if it was just filled w. water. The rocks take up a lot of space.

If I change it to a SA tank, then I'll definitely add some wood. I'll post some pics when I put the shellies in - I just did this up last night and had to run out the door.

All said, it took about 1/2hr.

Sue, it definitely would cut down on space, but it could make stacking difficult. I'd be a bit hesitant to let the foam be the only thing holding the rocks back.

Greg, I'm not totally sure what the cost of each can is - I bought a case at contractor rates. If you have a foam gun, they're great; if not, you can get a DIY can that has a nozzle. It's kind of a one-use can... if you have some acetone, you can keep the nozzle open, but if the foam dries, it's pretty much done.

Jess, the foam sticks to the rocks quite well. It comes off with a scrubbing - need a coarse or wire brush to get it clean. I doubt the foam will stick to the glass very well.

I use this method in building waterfalls, but when I build a pond wall, I don't use the foam. In ponds the foam is not there for structural support, it's more just to keep water from flowing behind rocks in waterfalls and streams, and keeps the rocks in the falls stable.

Lisa, Rock on! :)

Edited by jvision

It probably weighs about 250lbs... so not really much more than if it was just filled w. water. The rocks take up a lot of space.

If I change it to a SA tank, then I'll definitely add some wood. I'll post some pics when I put the shellies in - I just did this up last night and had to run out the door.

what fish are you gonna add?

what fish are you gonna add?

See OP right above final pic

Erin, the overall weight - once filled w. water - isn't much more. However, I did build the background with the tank on the floor; and, since I didn't want to have any weight in the front direction when lifting it, I made sure I had some help. Now that it's full (I'll post pics when the fish are in) it probably doesn't weigh much more than a normal 25 gal would when full. Water weighs about 10lbs/gal, and the rocks take up about 1/3 of the tank - so it all evens out at around 250lbs, estimate.

I just set some Pothos in the top/back of the tank. I want to make sure they'll live (picked 'em up from WalMart the other day, and the soil was bone-dry) before I add the fish. THere'll probably be a few Paracyp's (BTW, Harlod, they all made it!) as well - they're too skinny in the main tank.