Plecos, plecos, and more plecos

Niki

Well I’ve been a member of this forum for some time now but never really contributed much. 

ive been keeping fish on and off for 10+years, this past few years I’ve been pretty drawn towards plecos. 

here are some pictures from my collection.

E2F9E88B-11EB-476C-A0E9-FB7FCAC1A314.jpeg

2A4B0130-4139-48D6-BB58-201986FEF13D.jpeg

628B9348-57C5-4F5A-9BE0-EABDD9D800F6.jpeg

65F658E8-53E0-42D6-8EFB-7FF1FAD4724B.jpeg

EA59879C-10BE-498D-A2BE-61F0EAD33A03.jpeg

9B0416A6-2FB6-41CE-AF10-B1AD599DC7D1.jpeg

1 hour ago, Cgy_Betta_Guy said:

Awesome looking! I have never kept plecos but have been meaning to investigate the bristlenose for quite some time since they are supposed to be stay small.

The bn is the gateway pleco

there are a number of plecos that stay small like the bn or smaller.

10 hours ago, Cgy_Betta_Guy said:

Oh boy... not sure I should open this can of worms or not but I am gonna ask anyways... haha.

What other smaller plecos are there? Really liking those black and white patterned ones.

Depends what you call small but to me something 5 inches and smaller is fairly small, prices vary 

the black and white spotted ones in my pics are L201 snowball plecos, they get about 4 inches. There’s a dwarf variety L471.

some other smaller varieties are l134 lepaofrogs, l052 butterflies, l260 queen arabesque, l135 wormline, l183 stary night, l129 columbian zebra, l236, l46 zebra pleco, l239 blue panaque, l004 angelicus….be forewarned once you get one you’ll want them all haha

On 1/30/2022 at 11:36 AM, Cgy_Betta_Guy said:

Oh boy... not sure I should open this can of worms or not but I am gonna ask anyways... haha.

What other smaller plecos are there? Really liking those black and white patterned ones.

Like Niki says, there's lots!!  Panaquolus are small and relatively easy to keep.  Hypancistrus also stay small, but can be a little tougher to keep - they tend to like their water softer, more acidic and very clean. All of the Bristlenose varieties are pretty hardy and stay small.  If you go to PlanetCatfish.com, you'll see so many plecos!  Some are tougher to aquire than others, really depending on season and shipping restrictions from South America or if they're being captive bred.

Some of the LFS get some nice Plecos in, and Canadian importers like Cichlaholics (Spencer Jack) bring in quite a selection, too

On 1/31/2022 at 4:56 PM, Cgy_Betta_Guy said:

yeah I get bad collectoritis as it is with plants which is why I stopped myself from looking at plecs in the past. Might be the time to look....

Definitely check them out and don’t be afraid to contact local breeders as they have some great stock!!!

4 hours ago, jvision said:

Some of the LFS get some nice Plecos in, and Canadian importers like Cichlaholics (Spencer Jack) bring in quite a selection, too

I’ve found aquarists across Canada also has a great selection of plecos, I’ve made some purchases in the past and they have been very easy to communicate with, great quality on my ordered so far.

• 11 months later...