What makes a fish hardy

Vallisneria

Well i have another question i have always wondered about :smokey: What makes a fish hardy? You always hear people saying certain fish are hardy or delicate but what is different about those fish. What makes a zebra danio so much more hardy then say a discus? I can understand if a fish is wild caught it would be more delicate because its not used to tank conditions and would be stressed but what about tank raised. Is there something different in their anatomy that makes some fish hardier then others?

I hope that made sense :D

Jeeze Val, you're having some rather deep thoughts lately. :)

That's a difficult question to give a definitive answer to, but I guess the general answer would be genetic make up. Some species have advanced over thousands of years with fluctuating conditions in water parameters, diet, etc, and they have learned to adapt to a wide range of conditions, hence they usually tend to be easier to keep in captivity.

Edited by RD.

Some species have advanced over thousands of years with fluctuating conditions in water parameters, diet, etc, and they have learned to adapt to a wide range of conditions, hence they usually tend to be easier to keep in captivity.

So just think....if anything does survive the pollution in Lake Victoria, in a thousand years it will be indestructible.

Glowing, maybe, but indestructible. :lol:

But, what if you don't believe in evolution, and that all animals were created at the same time??? Then what makes a fish hardy or delicate?? :huh:

But, what if you don't believe in evolution, and that all animals were created at the same time??? Then what makes a fish hardy or delicate??

Uhmmmm, nothing I guess, except the way they were created?

Not sure if the evolution vs. creation debate was where Val wanted this thread to head off to..... :unsure:

Not sure if the evolution vs. creation debate was where Val wanted this thread to head off to.....

Yeah.... I was just kidding about that. After I posted, I thought this might stir something up that really doesn't need to be debated here. :unsure: