Aquarium Stand, bowed?

Mighty Prawn

So I went ahead and I bought an aquarium stand from Walmart for my 55 gallon long. I actually ended up purchasing the stand with a 55 gallon aquarium for 300$, killer deal. I wouldn't put water in the tank though, I don't think I'd trust it. We're gonna use it for reptiles of some kind. Uromastix or water dragons, who knows.

Now this Walmart stand is actually decent enough looking. I didn't put any extra supports, but I think I definately need to. With an empty tank on top, the cabinet doors open just fine. But now the tank is 3/4 full and the doors scrape on the top, and once open, are tough to close again. Does this mean the stand is not well suited for a 55 gallon tank? I stopped filling it up in case it isn't going to safely support it. Is it normal for a wooden cabinet stand to bow slightly? Is it most likely safe to continue filling it, or should I empty it out, create supports, and refill it?

Advice and suggestions appreciated, thanks so much!

-Hideo

I have one of the Walmart stands and it does bow a little, not as to be a concern to me, I adjusted the doors again after filling it. I can't see it bowing enough to break in the center, that would mean that the tank itself is capable of flexing that much. I know that the tank in my case is a perfecto and possibly more rigid than a Walmart Tank. Is the panel board that is nailed onto the back bowing out as well? If I was concerned about it I would remove the thin backing, put a brace in and replace the backing with 3/8 plywood for extra stability and to prevent the stand from racking. As well a lot of people put the tank on top of a piece of rigid syrofoam. PS I have hardwood plywood that you could have if you need it.

Edited by HOSStile

I was just in Wal Mart yesterday, and saw the 50 gal tank. It was priced at $299, and didn't notice if there was a stand included... might have to go back. :shifty:

Yeah that's the one, for 299. It's sitting on top of a brown cardboard box that has the stand in it, which actually looks quite decent.

I'm not using the walmart tank, I have a 55 gallon long All Glass Aquarium I am using on their stand. I'm gonna use the walmart tank for reptiles eventually.

I decided to add 4 extra supports, 4x4's, overkill, but imo better more than less :-)

-Hideo

Could you put a piece of 3/4" plywood, cut to size, under the tank and on top of the stand? That would spread the weight out more and keep any flexing in the stand from affecting the tank. It might even take the sag out of the stand.