AC 200....33 gallon planted tank

cgmac

How much filtration should I have on this tank? I have six small tetras and four Ottos in it. No ammonia or nitrite present in the tests that I have been doing and nitrate is always very low if not at all. Seems to be handling the present load of fish and plants, but will this be enough filtration when I want to add more fish? I am trying to not spend any more money than necessary, but I am leaning towards buying a new filter.

Future plans are to add two clown loaches, ten cardinal tetras, and four or five Bolivian Rams.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Your filter is fine. Hagen recommends it for up to 50g tanks. However, no filter is good in overstocked tanks. There is a rule of thumb how many fish you can put in there. I think it goes by total length of fish vs. tank volume. I can't remember the exact number. The density of plants plays a significant role as well. The bottom line is, that you don't want any amounts of NH3/NH4 present in your tank. Your best bet, if you want to add more fish, to add them slowly, a couple of them at the time, and hold off with further introductions until things stabilize ...

Generally filtration in a plant tank has no bearing on fish volume rule of thumbs. i.e. !" per fish x amount of gallons.

With filters for planted tanks the general rule is 3 to 5 times the volume of flow to the size of tank volume.

Most tanks have a theoretical tank volume as opposed to real volume.

so, for example I have what is called a 40 gallon (US) tank. The true volume when you measure the inside length x side x height and calculate out the total square useable inches which include about 1" below the top of the tank is 36. 67 US gallons. Actual 1 " below the tank top is not useable without sepage from the top trim.

Therefore I would need +/-37gallons x 3 or 37 x 4, or 37 x 5 gallons of flow. Flow is more critical in delievering nutients to the plants.

If you're adding CO2, you'll want to make sure the tank is filled as close to the output of the filter as possible. ACs can cause enough surface agitation to drive off most of your CO2. However, if you keep the tank full, I've had great experience with them. :)

AC 50 has a maximum flow of 200g/hr, so it fits guidelines that Garhan mentioned. As far as surface agitation goes, I agree with Jvision about raising the water level in the tank, but there is also a simple trick to further reduce it, which I have done on my AC. All you need is a plastic plate, and a rubber band. Please, see the picture bellow:

Picture001.jpg

Not sure, if I should charge Hagen for the idea ... :hey:

Edited by Milan

That's a whole lot easier than what I did to one of my ACs - I actually cut the little lip off, so the water drops strait into the tank. :o

I would rethink the loaches entirely and either go 2-3 blue rams or just 3 Bolivians....you have about 10" of fish in there already, and are considering 4-5 rams (at an eventual 3" each), 10 cardinals (at an eventual 1" each), and 2 clown loaches (at an eventual 16" each, and although that takes a while, anticipate 3"-4" each in 12-18 months)...so another 28"-33" of fish....and larger clowns can get pretty nippy at smaller fish (like most tetras). An option could be 3 blue rams, 7 cardinals, and a school of 4 corys (sterbais are nice)....an additional 17"-20".

What media are you currently running in that AC200? I would suggest 3 sponges or 2 sponges and a bag of bio-max (maximizes your bio-load capability)....carbon is best used only for removing meds, etc, and zeolite is good for emergencies, but otherwise simply masks any ammonia issues you may have.

If you do upgrade....which you do not really need to...consider an Eheim or Filstar canister....and AC300/70 would produce much more current from the return than you would probably like in a heavily planted tank.

Thanks for all the great replies!

Milan....do you notice any backup of water from putting this plastic plate right up to the front of your filter? It looks really fancy !! You should patent that one! I will try that out since I am doing the diy co2.

The tank is as full as I can get it. For media, I am using a sponge, bio max, and some filter floss.I don't use carbon.

Toirtis, thanks for the stocking suggestions. I like the corys instead of the loaches.

I was thinking of loaches for snail control, any suggestions for other fish that might help out there? Whenever I see a snail I pick it out. I just don't like them.

:) Goodnight.

Milan....do you notice any backup of water from putting this plastic plate right up to the front of your filter?

I'm not sure what you meant by "backup", but no, ... nothing that would suggest restricted flow or elevated water level in the filter.

BTW, I gained about 5 ppm of CO2 by doing this.

Edited by Milan

Milan...do you have anything to circulate the water in your tank?

If I do this to my filter I will have no water movement at all. I am thinking I would put a powerhead in another corner of the tank, maybe incorporate it with a better diffuser for my co2.

Just FYI, in my 55 gal, I have an HOT filter rated for 90gal, which provides some great circulation. When the lights are on, I have 2 powerheads that shoot CO2 mist into the tank.

So, if you do add a powerhead, either put it right by your CO2 reactor, of feed the CO2 into the powerhead to mist it throughout the tank.

I am planning on doing the gravel vac/powerhead type of diffuser for my co2.

I currently have a small (too small) powerhead catching any little bubbles that don't dissolve in the Hagen ladder that I have set up. It creates very little bubbles of which most end up sitting at the top of the tank. I have two reactors set up with a T connector and it is working great.... a bubble every 2 - 3 seconds. Diffusion needs to be more efficient, just don't want to spend more money right now. Thanks

:beer: