Using plants in fry tanks

Vallisneria

Is anyone using plants in their fry tanks to help keep the nitrates and other bad stuff down?

I added a bunch of hygro and hornwort to my growout yesterday and was wondering if it would have any impact on getting the fish to grow faster. I already do 20% water chagnes every couple days but i thought the plants might help reduce any levels even further(plus i had some left over plants, thanks popeye, and i had to put them somewhere).

Using plants would probably have more of an impact on heavily stocked growout tanks but I figured they can only help even in lightly stocked tanks.

SO anyone using plants to help get their fry to grow faster?

In the past raising discus fry, angels, and killifish I always added java moss, or hornwort, or najas,(what ever I had available) and or Java ferns. Not to reduce nitrates but to give cover and a place for fry to forage on rotifers that accumulate on the plants. Nitrates are controlled with regular water changes as recommended by most breeders and/or breeding books.

Edited by Garhan

If you're changing water so often, the plants probably won't have much impact on NO3, since there shouldn't be much!!

But, they're a great place for little critters to hide and live. The fry will appreciate that!

Do you use tap water for your WCs? If so, and you're doing so many WCs, these plants will grow quite fast given enough light - no CO2 necessary!

Back when I used to breed Apistos, the fry always grew out faster in planted tanks. I think it's b/c they could keep eating all day long. You could see them nipping at the plants - they were eating the microscopic thingies that live on and around the plants.

So, in your fry tanks, since your probably aren't going for show quality, let those stem-roots grow!

Yeah i know with that fequent of water chagnes there wont' really be any nitrate build up(i do WC about every 3 days) but i thought the plants would help keep the over all water quality better and then if you aren't able to do a water change it won't be so bad.

PLus the fry really seem to like it. Before i had PVC caves and some plastic plants but since adding the rel plants they are out more and swimming around. And if they feel like it they can snack on them.

I also am hoping that since the plants are in thie 25g with a ton of light(i used 2 of those screw in compact fluorescent bulbs) they will grow quickly and i'll have enough to put in other tanks.

I also am hoping that since the plants are in thie 25g with a ton of light(i used 2 of those screw in compact fluorescent bulbs) they will grow quickly and i'll have enough to put in other tanks.

Yep, you'll soon have more Hygro and Pennywort than you know what to do with!

I've got plants in all my tanks except for my 5.5 gallon, which I keep bare for the first couple weeks with my fry. Not too sure if it does make any difference on their growth or not, but like jvision said, I think that it gives the fry something to nibble on all day, even if it is the plants (which I don't usually notice). I've also got the screw in flourescent lights, and find that my plants all grow like weeds with them!

• 1 year later...

When I was breeding live bearers I always had a good cover of hornwort for the fry and never had to worry about losing to many.