C02 System?

Mighty Prawn

I got a c02 system from Pisces, they had a setup sowing the difference with c02 and without.

Now I didn't think to check what the system in the tank looks like. It's been 48ish hours, and it dispenses 1 bubble every 45 seconds to a minute, no more. Is that right? I thought it would be a lot more frequent, almost like a bubble wall. Did I set it up correctly? I have the cannister on the floor in my stand, and it's quite a while up to the tank. Perhaps I need to have the cannister higher? Or is this how it's supposed to work?

-Hideo

Are you talking about a pressurized tank with regulator, etc? If so, just open it up a bit more.

If you're talking yeast + sugar, then it might take a bit for it to get going. Having it closer to the water level will eleviate a lot of the pressure. I've got a Hagen CO2 unit hanging on the back of my tank - fits the same bracket as the Hagen powerheads.

Sorry, it's a sugar/yeast set up. It can hang on the side of tha tank, but the clip seemed a bit flimsy to me, so I thought I'd put it on the floor. Regardless the cord is quite long, I suppose I'd have to trim it.

-Hideo

I have the same kind and yes I hang it on the tank. I get a bubble every 10-15 seconds. I ran out of the stuff supplied but I use 1 quarter teaspoon yeast and one teaspoon baking soda, (the stabilizer) that I have on one side of my 55 planted and on the other side my Big Bubba which puts out about 5 times as much as the other one turned to minimum. I think most people when they buy one of this kits see how simple they are and make their own.

I had a Hagen ladder set and found that it was more trouble than it was worth. Algae would grow on it and due to it's shape the fish couldn't get at it to clean it off. I got a regulator (sorry Tanker :() and a 5 pound CO2 tank now to go with a powerhead. DIY yeast systems work but after using the Hagen one for two months I would highly suggest a pressure system just for the ability to ensure a constant output with no slowdown when you change the yeast and to cut down the CO2 at night when the plants are net producers of CO2.

I think eventually I'll get a adjustable one, and put my Hagen one into a 10 gallon tank.

Where does one get the adjustable ones? I have yet to see one.

-Hideo

How much does something like that cost? The one Garhan sold you, not the crazy one with the computer bit.

-Hideo

It may look crazy, but the picture is actually very nice to show you all (labeled) components of a complete pressurized system, with all it's bells and whistles ...

Most people shoot just for the cylinder with a pressure regulator/needle valve, and perhaps a solenoid valve, so that they can connect it to a timer.

It may look crazy, but the picture is actually very nice to show you all (labeled) components of a complete pressurized system, with all it's bells and whistles ...

And if your heart should fall out of your chest or that of a loved one you can keep it going in this tank until the ambulance comes. :rolleyes:

For my big bubba I use a control valve and a weighted base fine mist bubble that releases fine bubbles that usually disappear before they hit surface.

Edited by HOSStile

I have toi laugh, first of all increase your bubble count to 1 per second. One every 45 seconds doesnt cut it to get the rate up to where it is required.

Milan has shown a great picture of how a hi tech tank should be setup. The laugh is we all learned in elementary school that plants need light water and C02 to survive. Kind of like raisding fish they need food, water, and light believe it or not to survive. So why wouldnt we as fish/plant keepers do our best and provide each life organizim the best opportunity to flourish. It like raising fish in a tank full of water and not feeding them. Plants need the same...otherwise dont waste your money on them. Sorry dont mean to be critical, it just so simple to raise plants as well as it is to raise fish.

Garhan