ICK!

oscarfan

Make sure there is no iodine in it!!!

Regular salt usually has iodine in it.

buy any new fish lately?

I got some fish a week ago.. and now a couple fish in my tank have ich as well...

Just wondeing if somethings going around..

I just did the salt, med and heat thing. With water changes. No deaths in a week...

Jury is still out on table salt with the iodine. There's nothing conclusive that it does in fact harm your fish, as many keepers have been using it for years without any apparent effects.

That said, use at your own risk. Myself, I don't think twice.

Course pickling salt that you can get at Safeway, I believe there is no iodine in it, least the bag I had didn't. The ich you see attached to the fish is at a stage in its life when it is relatively immune to all treatment. Its only when it is in its free swimming stage that is can be treated by meds. The increase in temp. increases its metabolism so that its life cycle is shorter. Main thing to remember that the ich you see on the fish has grown there over a period of days and have grown enough to be visible to you, when you don't see them on your fish means they have detached to reproduce, so the thing to keep in mind is to continue to treat after the ich is no longer visible. I personally err on the side of caution and treat for 8-10 days total. I take it you are treating at half strength because you have scaleless fish such as loaches? If you don't it has been recommended to treat a full strength for a long enough length of time. Think of it like bacterial infection and treating it with antibiotics :) Also I have heard the same as Dunl that the amount of iodine in table salt will not harm fish, I will try to find a write up on this. Meanwhile use what you are comfortable using, myself I would use whatever I had to get the treatment going.

Edited by HOSStile

• 3 weeks later...

ok. i caved and bought two pleco's and shockingly.. ick kicked in in my tank again.. i've got aquarium salt.. will my two cory cats and my weather loach be able to handle it if i put some in the tank to help fight the ick? the quick cure i used fixed 'em up last time but this time i thought salt might help. i've read cory's don't do well with salt but thought i'd ask.